2013 Corked wine log

Corked wines are, unfortunately, a hazard of our hobby. I thought it would be interesting if we could keep a running log of corked wines that we stumble across during the year.

My first corked wine of the year:
1992 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Reserve. (BIG bummer Frown )
Original Post
2 bottles so far this year... out of 6!
2003 Domaine de la Vougeraie Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Marconnets (massive seepage as well)
2001 Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Exceptionnelle (more likely Brett than corked)

Although my sample size of flawed wine has been (thankfully) small, I've noticed that a higher percentage of French wines tend to be affected. Also that wines >5-7 yrs or so tend to have a higher failure rate than younger wines. What trends do you see in your flawed wine?
2007 St. Supery Napa Cab Sauv (badly cooked and probably a bit corked too)
2011 AMano Primitivo (cooked. purchased at same time as above bottle)
2011 Meiomi Pinot Noir (their Sonoma-Monterey-Santa Barbara bottling, was just awful. had to be seriously cooked)
At a company dinner, the second bottle of 2010 Catena Malbec. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and the server didn't offer to have me taste the wine first. Of four bottles that night, this was the only one she didn't. As I was drinking something else, it wasn't until others said the cab I had ordered was much better than the Malbec and someone commented it might be corked. I didn't even have to guess as a newly poured glass got close and I could smell it from a foot away!
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
Friday night - '05 Arcadian Syrah Westerly Vineyard. Probably the most corky-smelling corked wine I've ever had...tons of wet cardboard and funk...not good.

Have you had others from the same batch? I recently bought 4 of the '06, I've not had one before.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
Friday night - '05 Arcadian Syrah Westerly Vineyard. Probably the most corky-smelling corked wine I've ever had...tons of wet cardboard and funk...not good.

Have you had others from the same batch? I recently bought 4 of the '06, I've not had one before.

Had 3-4 others purchased all together - this was the first one w/any flaws.

Add Reply

Likes (0)