2013 Corked wine log

quote:
Originally posted by AML:
In the end, it worked out fine -- Dave had two backups standing that fit the bill:

1989 Cheval Blanc
2001 Chateau Rayas

Cool

Left my notebook at Dave's but I'll get some notes up soon.

And damn...what a shitty way to reach the big 1000...

+1 on both of VinT's comments. Those were nice backups. Looking forward to your notes.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
2003 donjon

I'm not sure I really can detect when a wine is corked or not?

Seriously, or kidding?

+1. I didn't want to ask the question and seem snarky.

Aphilla, if you have gone this long without experiencing corked wine, please buy me a lottery ticket! Or, drink more Spanish wine. Razz For a while it seemed like every corked bottle I had was from there.
quote:
quote:
2003 donjon

Seriously, or kidding?

Seriously. Occasionally I'll have a wine that just doesn't have much flavor and suspect it's corked. When people talk about different levels of sensitivity to it, I think I'm on the low end.

This particular wine fit the non-descript bill, but also tasted kind of icky.
quote:
quote:
quote:
2003 donjon

Seriously, or kidding?

Seriously. Occasionally I'll have a wine that just doesn't have much flavor and suspect it's corked. When people talk about different levels of sensitivity to it, I think I'm on the low end.

Interesting. I'm cursed with very high sensitivity.

It is all in the smell/odor for me. Once I smell TCA, I never bother to taste the wine.

There are serious wine enthusiast I know here in Dallas that were clueless what a corked wine was, but once they were exposed to a seriously corked bottle and smelled it, I think they now recognize it.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
2003 donjon

Seriously, or kidding?

Interesting. I'm cursed with very high sensitivity.

It is all in the smell/odor for me. Once I smell TCA, I never bother to taste the wine.

There are serious wine enthusiast I know here in Dallas that were clueless what a corked wine was, but once they were exposed to a seriously corked bottle and smelled it, I think they now recognize it.

At an offline, AllRed's wife pointed out a seriously corked chablis and I could pretty clearly see what someone means by wet cardboard from that. Occasionally we'll have an off wine and my wife will describe it as musty but I don't get any of that, it just seems off or tasteless.
I wish I had a better grasp of wine flaws.... Tonight I opened an '04 Telegraph that I thought was flawed on my first taste, but after 20 minutes it was gone, and after an hour it was gorgeous. It was very bitter when I opened it.

Posted a note from my impressions at about 45 minutes in the tasting notes thread.
quote:
quote:
Tonight I opened an '04 Telegraph that I thought was flawed on my first taste,

What were you thinking, VA?

That reminds me, a few weeks ago we had a flawed bottle of 1998 Vieux Telegraphe. Some figured cork, some just flawed. The one certainty is that it wasn't the wonderous experience previous bottles of this wine had been. Frown
quote:
quote:
Tonight I opened an '04 Telegraph that I thought was flawed on my first taste,

What were you thinking, VA?

Don't know, really, wish I did. I've had wines that seemed to have a similar bitterness on opening that just kept getting worse.
quote:
Originally posted by Matt P:
I opened an Edward Sellars a couple weeks ago and it tasted like nail polish remover. Would that be corked wine or just an expired bottle.

You know what nail polish remover tastes like??? When a wine smells like nail polish remover it's often VA (or volatile acidity).

Add Reply

Likes (0)