Skip to main content

So let's pump some life into this place, yeah?

$54. Biodynamic. 55% Pinot Meunier, 25% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir.

Apple, walnut and chalk on the nose.  Tight, chalky, and a bit sharp on the palate, but I can tell there is some really good stuff going on.  This is a pretty intense experience.  The flavor profile is almost more walnut skin than anything else, but with with copious amounts of chalk, overripe-yet-dry apples, and a fair bit of minerality.  And a long finish.  What is holding me back from loving this is the bracing acidity which really makes itself known with every bubble.  I wish I could try this again in 4 to 6 years, because I think it might be absolutely stellar then.  Still, this is both an interesting and enjoyable experience -- it just satisfies the intellect a bit more than the emotion. 90(+), quite possibly noticeably more with time.

Edited to add:

After an hour+ open and having come up to cellar temperature or just warmer, the sharpness has abated somewhat and the wine has become almost mind-bogglingly chalky in its profile.  This is indeed a special wine for its interesting-ness and intellectual appeal.  It is not a giant-slayer, however.

Last edited by winetarelli
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.