2012 Wine Of The Year (WOTY)

I’m starting this a couple of days early as I know I won’t be drinking anything that will knock any of these off the list.

2012 it’s safe to say was a wonderful year of wine consumption for many of us. I know I've read many of your tasting notes and offline reports from the next day (AML comes to mind most here!) that were quite amazing and the offlines I've attending have been wonderful and memorable. My list could be dozens of wines long without much of a drop off in quality. I’ll keep it short though. One thing I will note though is that of the 12 wines listed fully 10 of them were enjoyed with other forumites.

2012 WOTY: 1983 Chateau D’Yquem

The clear winner for me. This was a wonderful, beautiful bottle of wine. It’s hard to ask more of Sauternes. Depth, spice, acidity, balance. I've had this wine on three separate occasions and twice it has been my WOTY. It isn't perfection but it’s pretty bloody close.

The Rest (in order):
1996 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill
1990 Charles Heidsieck
1996 Cheval Blanc
1989 La Chapelle
1982 Pichon Lalande
1996 Beaucastel Vendanges Tardives
1999 Salon
1998 Duval-Leroy Petit Meslier Authentis
1995 Margaux
1982 Leoville Poyferre
1998 Ornellaia
Original Post
Not a terrific year for top-flight wines, but my favorite five:

5. 2004 Neal Family, Cab
4. 1997 Matanzas Creek, Merlot
3. RL Buller Fine Muscat, Victoria
2. 2009 Descendientes de Jose Palacios Petalos del Bierzo
1. 1986 Vieux Telegraphe, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2004 Constant Diamond Mountain Vineyard Cab. I must have caught this one just right a couple weeks ago but it was fantastic.

Also ran awards go to my Champagne of the year, '96 Pol Roger Brut Chardonnay, and 2003 Willakenzie Triple Black Slopes Pinot Noir.
Below are my WsOTY (Red/White). I left out Champagne as there is a separate thread addressing these. So many spectacular wines this year and many, many of those due to the generosity of other forum members here (which I've attempted to give credit to this year). There were also many wines shared with me by forumites that just did not make the list. In no way does this make anyone's contribution any less special. You know who you are and I sincerely enjoyed each occasion that we had throughout this year. Cutting to a 'Top 10' is truly not easy. The selected list below represents wines that showed absolutely spectacularly and were coupled with truly special occasions. Between the '90 La Turque and the '82 Haut-Brion I just could not make the cut to WOTY, so it's a tie. Deal with it Big Grin

Whites
1990 Beaucastel CDP VV Blanc (basecadet)
2005 Christian Moreau, Chablis, Les Clos (steve8)
2006 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc (vinaigre)
2007 2007 E. Guigal Hermitage Blanc Ex-Voto (vinaigre)

Reds
1955 Chateau Montrose (Longboarder)
1955 Biondi Santi Riserva BdM (gkapoor)
1959 Château Calon-Ségur (PurpleHaze)
1980 Col d'Orcia BdM Riserva (Longboarder)
1984 Diamond Creek Lake
1990 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque (DoktaP) WOTY
1982 Château Haut-Brion (PurpleHaze) WOTY
1983 Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia
1989 Chateau Montrose
1995 Rene Rostaing, Cote-Rotie, Cote Blonde (PurpleHaze)
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Wine or wines?

Here we go again!! There already is a top ten list somewhere. I'm sure someone will start a top 100 soon.....

My WINE of the year:

1990 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque

Magic in a glass.

PH

Ditto buddy. Closely followed by a nv vega sicilia unico and a 1980 col d'orcia.
for all the wines consumed this year there are three that still haunt me:

'82 PLL (courtesy of DokP)
'98 Sassicaia
'75 Produttori del Barbaresco

with a '90 Guiraud (courtesy of VinT) as best white. Or maybe it was mangiare's '90 champagne charlie...? too close to call.
Since this was a bucket list wine I will have to go with the 1955 Biondi Santi Riserva BdM that was provided by Gkapoor and shared with KSCO2 in Montreal.

Other great wines in 2012 included:

1959 Chateau Calon Segur
1961 Charles Vienot Clos de Beze
1955 Chateau Montrose
1990 Guigal Cote Rotie La Turque
1916 Chateau Margaux (actually tasted twice which makes it even more remarkable that 2 bottles of this ancient wine were drinking so memorably)

A special note - the most unique experiences of the year which were a 1971 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel and the 1855 Scion Port.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

A special note - the most unique experiences of the year which were a 1971 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel and the 1855 Scion Port.

Indeed, and even better we could share them together. Cool

I also still think of the '79 Martin Ray Pinot. Eek
My "wine" of the year was actually the offline in Montreal with Longboarder, Robo Porker, KSCOs, basecadet and Vinaigre. It just so happens that we enjoyed amazing food at Joes Bistro along with fabulous wines. The '90 Beaucastel, '80 Col D'Orcia, '84 Diamond Creek Lake enjoyed on the patio with artisan cheeses and great friends just added to the pleasantries of the weekend. The '90 Guigal La Turque was wonderful, but truly enhanced by the company and food. I have been blessed with great family and friends. Who could ask for nything more.
quote:
quote:

Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin

Funny I was talking about that night and the same 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. as well last week. The 61 vienot clos de beze and the 79 Martin ray Pinot rank in the top 5 pinots I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

G
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
quote:

Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin

Funny I was talking about that night and the same 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. as well last week. The 61 vienot clos de beze and the 79 Martin ray Pinot rank in the top 5 pinots I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

G

The Martin Ray was fantastic and as surprising as the Geyserville. Definitely the best CA Pinot I have tasted.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
quote:

G

Definitely the best CA Pinot I have tasted.

Oh, not only the best Cali Pinot I have ever tried, I do not know what I would place second.

I'm wanting another '61 Burgundy. My mouth is salivating just thinking about the wine. Cool
For Domino and I, 2012 may well be the year by which all others are measured. We drank/tasted a lot of incredible wines this year, the majority of which were shared with us by good friends. I too ended up having a tie...my co-WOTY:

1990 Château La Mission Haut-Brion
1990 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Hommage à Jacques Perrin
My modest list

2002 Domain des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Clos de Sainte Catherine
1969 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve
2001 Rieussec
2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Torbreck Run Rig

Add Reply

Likes (0)