2012 Monte Bello

Just received my reminder email about Monte Bello futures. I noticed that they are not allowing folks to increase their allocations and have heard numerous rumors about why. Does anyone in the SCMs have any intel or thoughts on 2012 Monte Bello?

Thanks!

G
Original Post
Here's the wording: "Due to limited production, allocation increases will not be accepted with this vintage."

Their assemblage process selects lots for quality and typicity, so harvest volume and what makes the cut for Monte Bello are two different things. The other factor, I suppose, is distribution commitments they need to honor, as well as having enough to sell at the winery and to hold in the library.

Depending how futures sales go, I wouldn't be surprised if they let people up their allocation late in the window, in May. It looks like they are accepting new members, so they've allocated a certain amount to that.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I got off the Monte Bello list this year. Love the wines, but I have enough Bordeaux style wines in the cellar to last me a long time. Plus I'm finding I reach for a cab based wine less often these days.

why is that?

my personal reason is that all my cab is just too young to drink, but I certainly look forward to the day where I can just randomly pull out a whole slew of 15-20 yr old cabs on a random night.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Mainly due to diet changes. We are simply cooking a lot more fish, chicken and veggie dishes these days vs lamb and beef like we used to. That said, I'm also looking forward to pulling my Bordeaux wines when they are ready as well.

funny you mention that as we're doing the same in my household.

I've rediscovered white port as a compliment to seafood. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
just sign up

min order is 6 btls

i dont think there's a wait list.

I just signed up today, but it didn't say anything about a 6 bottle minimum. It actually let you choose a 2 or 4 bottle order, so I chose 4. I haven't heard back from them, though.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
oh they changed it i guess

looks like you're gonna get the other bottlings now with it too.

when i signed up it was either 6 or a multiple of 6

and you get every year.

I thought I had to get the Estate bottlings, too, but you can sign up without choosing those as well. So, it seems pretty flexible. I guess I ended up with 6 equivalent anyway since I added a mag.

Add Reply

Likes (0)