2012: Champagne of the year.

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

As a general observation, when Krug changed the Grande Cuvee label around 2005 there seemed to be a decline in the quality of this bottling for while. In the last couple of years it seems to be back to its old standard.

While I have no unequivocal evidence to support this, I believe I know the reason for this improvement: I used to buy 2 or 3 bottles of Krug GC every year for a while, but after the label change I cut back to 1 bottle a year, and in a couple of years I even bought none. It didn't take long for the economic impact of this to hit Krug pretty hard, and I'm fairly certain they got the message loud and clear, finally responding exactly as I knew they would be forced to do.

Yes, yes, you are all very welcome. It was nothing, really.

This is the funniest thing I've read on this board all year. Thanks Seaquam.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Seaquam opened the bottle of Krug I had so I don't know how long he had it in his cellar.

No argument about it being overrated relative to the price, but that wasn't the topic of this thread. Wink

That bottle was from the 2010 Christmas release with classy gift box. Who could resist the gift box?

As a general observation, when Krug changed the Grande Cuvee label around 2005 there seemed to be a decline in the quality of this bottling for while. In the last couple of years it seems to be back to its old standard.

While I have no unequivocal evidence to support this, I believe I know the reason for this improvement: I used to buy 2 or 3 bottles of Krug GC every year for a while, but after the label change I cut back to 1 bottle a year, and in a couple of years I even bought none. It didn't take long for the economic impact of this to hit Krug pretty hard, and I'm fairly certain they got the message loud and clear, finally responding exactly as I knew they would be forced to do.

Olivier Krug is a keen and responsive owner. Well played, Seaquam, we are all in your indebtedness. I shall buy a couple of bottle this afternoon.
Best:

1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs
1997 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs
1998 Krug Champagne Brut
1995 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon
1988 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon

Most Disappointing:

1976 Krug Champagne Brut x 2
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
It's good to see several votes for Krug '95 and '98. I have a few of each in my cellar, but haven't popped one yet. Patience, patience, patience...

I would drink the '98 before the '95, Redhawk.

Most certainly
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:
It's good to see several votes for Krug '95 and '98. I have a few of each in my cellar, but haven't popped one yet. Patience, patience, patience...

Most certainly

and way before the 96' Smile
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Most certainly

and way before the 96' Smile

Thank you all for the tip. Unfortunately, no '96 around here Frown
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Had a bottle over the weekend which tops my list:

N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Initiale

VM

dare I say it, but the selosse tops the krug mv imho.

VERY different wines...Chardonnay vs. Pinot based wine with complete barrel fermentation and long lees aging.

Both excellent wines, and I do hope Selosse does not gain too much hype. Wink
quote:

Posted Dec 28, 2012 12:38 PM Hide Post

quote:

This is the funniest thing I've read on this board all year. Thanks Seaquam.

Good thing we have Seaquam on the case!

Last night's 1990 Krug was my 2012 Champagne of the Year. The 96 Dom and 96 Salon followed a few steps behind. Happy New Year!
quote:
quote:

Not so far away, Redhawk (Grand Rapids), but hey, nothings closer than your keyboard.
Wine-Searcher is your friend Wink

Thanks for the tip! But the tariff is quite steep. Hard to pull the trigger on that. Is it worth it?
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not so far away, Redhawk (Grand Rapids), but hey, nothings closer than your keyboard.
Wine-Searcher is your friend Wink

Thanks for the tip! But the tariff is quite steep. Hard to pull the trigger on that. Is it worth it?

Hard to say. It's more than double what you could pick it up for on release, but...... if you want a stunning bottle to drink in the future it's probably worth biting the bullet. I can predict with some certainty that if you get one (or more) and have the patience to wait for them you won't regret the purchase. Just depends on your tolerance for pain right now.

Low WineSearcher is currently $350 if you can get shipments, fwiw....
PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Hard to say. It's more than double what you could pick it up for on release, but...... if you want a stunning bottle to drink in the future it's probably worth biting the bullet. I can predict with some certainty that if you get one (or more) and have the patience to wait for them you won't regret the purchase. Just depends on your tolerance for pain right now.

Low WineSearcher is currently $350 if you can get shipments, fwiw....
PH

"Is it worth it"? Such a personal, subjective, question. Thus, why I tended to ponder just how to best respond. Meanwhile, PH responded very correctly. I know that I've followed the pricing on this wine the past 5 yrs and it does not go down. Ever. A direct testiment to supply and demand. It is a superior vintage of this wine.

My take: Some years back I picked up a few '95s at $165 each as the '96s were 'more expensive' at $225. I though that I could likely eventually find it cheaper. I've regretted the decision to not just get both, or the '96, ever since.
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
1996 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame
2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Rosé Brut

Here's hoping that I need to update this post after New Year's Eve! Smile

Thanks to Racer 117, I need to (happily) rescind my vote as well in favor of the '96 Salon! Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)