Disgorged 2018

100% Chardonnay

Zero dosage

Wow!  First of all, this is a rare wine.  I don't know the production stats, but it is tiny, which makes this a treat in-and-of-itself.  But also, wow!  Even at $100/bottle, this is almost shockingly good.  (Especially given that it is 2011.)  The nose is dominated by Asian pear and banana with a hint of quince, toast and allspice.  The palate has those flavors plus additional banana resin, toasty oak, pink Himalayan sea salt and/or a hint of soy sauce, and the faintest hint of orange zest.  Other vintages of this are said to be made in an oxidative style, but I don't pick that up here.  The finish is long and a hint buttery.  The mouthfeel is wonderful with medium-light body yet a rounded quality and with tiny bubbles; somehow the acid is in check, despite being a brut nature.  This absolutely drinks like a sparking white Burgundy.  Not as creamy as the 2006 Taittinger Comtes, but nearly as good a wine.  Drinking well now, will probably improve for a few years. Consumed on its own and with latkes.  *Amazing* with the latkes.  93+

I read a commenter on CT saying he thinks a wine like this does better on its own than in a lineup due to its somewhat lighter body and lack of any "in your face" quality.  He may be right about that.  I'm glad I had this outside of a "tasting" environment.  Plus, the wine got better with every sip.

Original Post

Add Reply

Likes (0)