quote:
Originally posted by CardiacKid:
Gators versus Horns tonight. Florida's offense is really heating up lately. Should be great game!

Ouch - not a good way to start things if you're an Orangeblood. Congrats to the Gators for looking like the team to beat. Jungmann hasn't looked himself since the start of the postseason and with our weak bats we need great pitching to have a chance. Green and Stafford have both pitched lights out in the tourney and we'll need more of the same to come out of the losers bracket.

Florida is good...
I was hoping that someone else was watching college baseball. To me, the college baseball playoffs are almost as much fun as March Madness. Last year I was privileged to experience, in person, some of the most exciting sporting events in my lifetime. These were the two regionals in Myrtle Beach where Coastal Carolina edged College of Charleston with two consecutive walkoff wins. The following weekend, the Gamecocks won two close games against Coastal on their way to winning it all. As a side note, those were the hottest games I have ever attended.

As for this year, I have been holding my breath all year as Florida has their best team ever. This season has been about the three teams in the SEC who tied for the title (Gators won tourney), Florida, USC and Vandy. Now we get to Ohama, and we have Vandy again. The Gamecocks are looming on the other side of the draw. Hopefully, our power pitching staff and good offense will pull us through.

Not many people realize that the SEC is trying for its third consecutive CWS Title (LSU & SC).
Ouch - not a good way to start things if you're an Orangeblood. Congrats to the Gators for looking like the team to beat. Jungmann hasn't looked himself since the start of the postseason and with our weak bats we need great pitching to have a chance. Green and Stafford have both pitched lights out in the tourney and we'll need more of the same to come out of the losers bracket.

Florida is good...[/QUOTE]

Have faith Bevo...remember that South Carolina bounced back and won the championship last year after losing the first game of the tournament.
Well that was fast - Texas is eliminated in two straight for only the third time in a record 34 appearances. They got beat by two better teams, but Garrido got more out of them this season than he probably should have.

Good luck to the remaining teams and here's to more great games. My boys may be out but I'll still be watching!
VB - Texas is a gold standard in college baseball. To them, getting to the CWS and losing two straight is a bad season. They will have a good team every season.

The Gators won the most important game in the bracket. They are now one game from the finals with a fresh pitching staff. There are potentially only five games left, and the Gators have four quality starters (the ace could pitch twice). I am guessing the Gators see Vandy again, and if they advance, the Gamecocks await.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
VB - Texas is a gold standard in college baseball. To them, getting to the CWS and losing two straight is a bad season. They will have a good team every season.

The Gators won the most important game in the bracket. They are now one game from the finals with a fresh pitching staff. There are potentially only five games left, and the Gators have four quality starters (the ace could pitch twice). I am guessing the Gators see Vandy again, and if they advance, the Gamecocks await.

Appreciate that comment on the Horns - it adds some perspective for those that feel Texas fans are too demanding at times. Florida looks GOOD so far and is the team to beat in my opinion.
Looks like the SEC is going to take its third straight title. Really disappointed in the ACC's showing, who had 3 of the top 5 national seeds (the SEC though has 3 of the top 6 and all 3 got in). FSU lost in the super to TX A&M (despite scoring 23 on them in Game 2), and my other school, UNC, got eliminated last night. UVA beat Cal tonight for the right to play the defending champs (USCe). I really thought the ACC would shine as FSU took 3 of 4 from UF over a six week span (they play on Wednesdays, not a regular 3 game weekend) and the one they lost was by 1 run in 10 innings. FSU was 1-3 against UVA (lost in the ACC Champ game) and 1-2 against UNC, so I figured the ACC would show strong. But now it's UVA and 3 SEC schools left. I was really rooting for Cal, who is playing WAY above their heads as they almost had their program eliminated due to Title IX and budget issues, but were able to privately raise $10 million this spring to save the program. Great feel good story.
Three of the final four teams by one conference is astounding. I remember this in basketball in the mid 80's (Georgetown, Nova and St. John's along with Memphis), but that is the only time. This season has always been about how equal Florida, SC and Vandy have been, and it has continued to the end. Put another way, in the nine games in the NCAA tourney counting today, Florida has played an SEC team in five of them.

Vandy and Virginia still have shots to win this thing. We will see if head Gator coach, and pitching coach, Kevin O'Sullivan's management of the pitching staff pays off. There are potentially five games left in six days, and the Gator staff is fresh, with no one guy going over 100 pitches.
Gators and Gamecocks in the Championship Series. The Gators survived a shaky bullpen, aided by a great game saving catch by ss Nolan Fontana, to win 6-4. The Gamecocks outlasted Virginia in a tense 13 inning contest 3-2. SC coach Ray Tanner used, some would say abused, closer Matt Price to the tune of almost 100 pitches. The Vandy and Virginia coaches were as bad overusing pitchers as well.
Congratulations to the Gamecocks for winning back to back CWS Titles. Repeating is very difficult to do.

The first game in the championship series was tough to accept. The Gators blew a bases loaded no outs situation to win the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. SC's Scott Wingo came up with two great plays to save the game. The Gators then had a runner thrown out at home in the 10th (he was out by a lot), and then gave SC an unearned run in the 11th to lose 2-1. After that, the second game was primarily a formality. SC's pitching staff had a 0.88 ERA in the CWS, and that will win every time.

While it is frustrating to lose, especially to a conference opponent, it is hard to be critical of a team finishing second in the country. It is also forgotten that the women's softball team lost in their title series as well. Not bad.

Add Reply

Likes (0)