Skip to main content

One of the highlights from our blind tasting over the weekend, courtesy of m/m tlv. I am glad tlv is seeking out more of this so I can taste it over and over again over the next 20 years. Big Grin

2010 Mount Eden Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate Bottled - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/26/2013)
4th Saturday Group brown bagger (M/M thelostverse): Deep ruby color with notes of chery, raspberry, clove and nutmeg. With additional air, forest floor and subtle earthy elements emerge. In a word, elegant. Medium tannins with a flavors of cherry and spice. Plenty of fruit with nice balance- plenty of structure and acid. Obviously Pinot, but I thought RRV. 93+ pts.

One of our hosts' contributions, decanted for 5 hours. (93+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Had this earlier this year and loved it enough to buy a fair amount more.

• 2010 Mount Eden Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate Bottled - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/15/2013)
    5 Blind Pinots on a Thursday Night (Dave's House): (Blind Pinot #3) On first pour this wine had some dissolved Co2 which had us concerned it was flawed. After a few minutes in the glass however all of the Co2 dissipated and a stunning nose began to show itself. There is obvious stem inclusion in this wine, but it is very tastefully executed and suits the wine well. Nose features ash, loads of spice, plenty of red fruit; red currants, cherries, strawberries, pomegranate. It is so complex and has so much going on it almost overwhelms the senses. Palate is similar to wine #1 in the silk and length of finish, however I believe we all agreed this was clearly the wine of the flight with only #1 in the same ballpark as this. 94 Points and that is conservative. (94 pts.)
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Oi! This is a seriously good pinot, but I think it will get better still. Spice and red fruit on the nose. Structured, with good acidity and cherry flavours. I'm holding my other bottle for at least 5 years.

Glad your bottle showed well, Steve. I opened one a couple of weeks ago. Did not splash decant but by experience, while nice, was not as exciting as yours. Wish I'd had another to squirrel away for some years to try again.

Coincidentally it was almost exactly 5 years since I opened my first bottle. Interesting to (re)read Winecanuck's note above because last night's bottle also had some odd odour on the nose upon opening. It wasn't the usual band-aid brett, barnyard or cork taint but a green pepper scent and mild flavour which worried me. We decanted it and let it sit for about half an hour and when we came back to it (read: finished a killer bottle from Domaine Huet) it had completely disappeared from nose and palate. An hour or so later this wine was just singing. Cherry, strawberry, spice and a long finish. Beautifully balanced wine. 94 for me and if I had more I would hold.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.