Did not see a separate thread on this wine. Nice structure, mouth feel and weight...nose of ripe cherry / black cherry, but way too much menthol / eucalyptus going on for my personal taste.

Said to be from the younger vines of Harlan / Bond and Promontory. While I have never had Promontory, I have never noticed Eucalyptus in any Bond or Harlan wine.

Any others notice this from Mascot?
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
Did not see a separate thread on this wine. Nice structure, mouth feel and weight...nose of ripe cherry / black cherry, but way too much menthol / eucalyptus going on for my personal taste.

Said to be from the younger vines of Harlan / Bond and Promontory. While I have never had Promontory, I have never noticed Eucalyptus in any Bond or Harlan wine.

Paging Parcival, sounds like this is a question for you sir.
quote:

I drank the 2009 at the Inn at Meadowood.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and noted no eucalyptus note.

I believe Harlan's son oversees the Mascot.

Bfw
I had a 2009 and its was a massive tannic wine that was hard for me to swallow day one. I drank it over a few days. It took until day four until it softened. Once it did it was spectacular. I wont be opening another before its 10th birthday if not longer and even then will allow for a healthy decant
quote:
Originally posted by bfw:
quote:

I drank the 2009 at the Inn at Meadowood.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and noted no eucalyptus note.

I believe Harlan's son oversees the Mascot.

Bfw

Bill Harlan's son (Will) was the impetus behind Mascot, and steered the label through it's first couple of vintages. He's now overseeing Promontory. Nikita Stone took over as Director at Mascot about 9 months ago.
Napacat . . . that's strange to hear about the Eucalyptus note on the Mascot.

I've had the 2009 a few times now and a bottle of the 2010.

Unlike Bomba, I actually have enjoyed these on day one with ~4 hour decant (but that's pretty standard for my tastes and enjoyment of young new world wines)

It definitely has a ripe dark red cherry / strawberry nose with some secondary earth elements that bring some nice balance to the wine, but I have never gotten a mint/eucalyptus anything from this wine.

To put this in perspective, if you look at the vineyards where Mascot sources from (they do take juice deemed not up to Harlan snuff), I do not believe there are any eucalyptus trees that high up on the ridge above Oakville where the vineyards sit. In dramatic comparison, almost directly below the Harlan vineyards sit Heitz's Martha's Vineyard vines which are flanked by Eucalyptus trees.

Based on a terroir philosophy, some of the dominant flavor profiles of these two wines -Harlan / Mascot vs. Heitz MV makes sense. Heitz MV is flanked by Eucalyptus. A good part of the ridge where Harlan is grown used to be devoted to cherry orchards. There's no scientific proof that there is a connection between these previous/current plantings and the characteristics that make it into the wine, but it seems like an awfully large coincidence for there to be no connection!

That said, there has been some speculation about the eucalyptus/minty characteristic of Heitz MV. Some have suggested that if the tiniest bit of eucalyptus leaves made it into harvest, the oils from those leaves would have a profound and broad affect on the resulting wine.

So, I guess it's possible that somehow some eucalyptus debris / leaves got into some of the Harlan harvest (a nice hard uphill wine would be all that it would take). But, again, I have never gotten that at all from the Mascot
FWIW the 09 I drank was opened right after I picked it up from their office in St Helena shortly after release. Day one was pop n pour with burgers at the Rutherford grill on Sunday. Day two it sat in the back seat on the drive home. Day three was a glass with a rib eye back home and it was still massive. Day four was the last glass without food and it was lovely.
BOMBA,

I have had the 09 and the 10 a few times and just don't find them to be massive wines. Maybe consumed too quickly.

The last wine that I had that was better on the 4th day was a Schrader Beckstoffer To Kalon (pre 2010 vintage). I personally think you cannot pop and pour a Schrader...they just don't reveal anything and you end up wasting an exceptional bottle of wine.

I'll pop another Mascot this weekend and report back.
quote:
BOMBA,

I have had the 09 and the 10 a few times and just don't find them to be massive wines. Maybe consumed too quickly.

The last wine that I had that was better on the 4th day was a Schrader Beckstoffer To Kalon (pre 2010 vintage). I personally think you cannot pop and pour a Schrader...they just don't reveal anything and you end up wasting an exceptional bottle of wine.

I'll pop another Mascot this weekend and report back.

Had another bottle of the 2010 Mascot today. Same Eucalyptus / menthol nose to this wine. It's ok...nothing special. Would not buy again. Had a 2012 Merryvale cab after this that was much better.
I actually had the 2010 last Friday at dinner with friends. I didn’t pick up any eucalyptus or menthol notes. It was still a tannic beast, but we also only gave it a couple of hours of air and finished it pretty quickly. Nice fruit, long finish, probably could use a few more years.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
I got my email from them a few weeks ago. I'm debating, but wonder if anyone is buying.

I went for 3 of the '12 and will probably do the same next year and call it done. $90 seems pretty dang reasonable for anything a few degrees separated from Harlan.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
quote:
I got my email from them a few weeks ago. I'm debating, but wonder if anyone is buying.

I went for 3 of the '12 and will probably do the same next year and call it done. $90 seems pretty dang reasonable for anything a few degrees separated from Harlan.

similar . . . bought a 6 pack. 3 for me and 3 for a friend in Boston

I've enjoyed these wines more than many other folks I think. As this bottle starts to push the $100 price point, it will fall off my radar, but I think it's still at a reasonably decent price for the quality
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
quote:
quote:

I've enjoyed these wines more than many other folks I think. As this bottle starts to push the $100 price point, it will fall off my radar, but I think it's still at a reasonably decent price for the quality

I don't know about "many" others, but I think Mascot is a great wine for the price. It's 85% of what Maiden is at less than half the price.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
quote:
quote:

I went for 4 only. Will reassess next year.

Add Reply

Likes (0)