Skip to main content

Anyone else get this? I'm in the Tablas Creek Wine Club, "Collecter's Club", and was just offered 2009 futures. At first I was excited about the prospect of futures bc I really enjoy Tablas Creek wines. They have a bit of a hostage program in that in order to get a real discount you need to be in the club, and if you're in the club you need to take the designated shipments, which include pretty much all of their wines, even the ones you may not like.

I never really minded this because it was really only 1 or 2 of each bottle, and I figured the whites I normally wouldn't order would fill a large portion of my "white wine quota", and frankly, I enjoyed practically every white I've opened from TC.

But i digress... the 2010 Primeur offer (to purchase 2009 futures of Esprit or Panoplie) kinda sucked. First of all, they're raising their prices (again). MSRP for the Esprit will now be $55, and the Panoplie $95. With the 30% "en Primeur" discount, you're at $38.50 and $66.50 respectively. Not bad, especially for wines I'd buy anyway. However, they have order minimums now of either 12 bottles of Esprit, or 6 bottles of Panoplie.

Lastly, they keep harping on how Panoplie is only made "in exceptional vintages", but they have made Panoplie every year since 2002 according to CT.

I'm starting to get a more and more corporate vibe from TC, and thinking my membership with them may be coming to an end soon...

any other TC club members? your thoughts??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I’m on the Tablas list and still enjoy it. I’m not sure what type of membership I have, but I get a mixed case of 6 twice a year. Each order usually comes with an esprit red and white, a panoplie and a mix of others. I have really liked everything so far except a weak rose. The prices are down right cheap for the quality IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I’m on the Tablas list and still enjoy it. I’m not sure what type of membership I have, but I get a mixed case of 6 twice a year. Each order usually comes with an esprit red and white, a panoplie and a mix of others. I have really liked everything so far except a weak rose. The prices are down right cheap for the quality IMO.

Did you see the prices for the 09 Esprit and Panoplie?

It's a hard call for me because i do enjoy the wine, but the prices keep rising, and it's definitely a "hostage wine" system. The quality is great, esp when Esprit was a sub-$40 wine. Now it's only sub-$40 if you commit to purchasing an entire case of it, one year in advance. In the $40 - $60 range they begin competing with some other Rhone blends and Syrahs that make TC Esprit less of a standout, of course, IMO.

Your membership is the regular one. The only difference is that the "Collcetor's" membership includes an extra 6 bottles in the Fall (2 more current Esprit Red, 1 more current Esprit white, 2 Library Esprit Red, 1 Library Esprit White), and free shipping on the Fall shipment.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Did you see the prices for the 09 Esprit and Panoplie?

It's a hard call for me because i do enjoy the wine, but the prices keep rising, and it's definitely a "hostage wine" system. The quality is great, esp when Esprit was a sub-$40 wine. Now it's only sub-$40 if you commit to purchasing an entire case of it, one year in advance. In the $40 - $60 range they begin competing with some other Rhone blends and Syrahs that make TC Esprit less of a standout, of course, IMO.

Your membership is the regular one. The only difference is that the "Collcetor's" membership includes an extra 6 bottles in the Fall (2 more current Esprit Red, 1 more current Esprit white, 2 Library Esprit Red, 1 Library Esprit White), and free shipping on the Fall shipment.
I have not noticed the 09 prices, but I'll check it out. Hopefully they keep prices in check somewhat. I really enjoy the Roussanne. Can't think of a better white in CA for $20.
TC doesn’t advertise it, but they have a “lower rung” membership level, as well (I believe it's called "VINdependent"). Basically, all this VINdependent membership requires is for you to purchase at least 6 bottles of their wine throughout the year — any six bottles, doesn’t matter which ones. VINdependent membership includes a 10% discount on all their wines. So, if you know you’re going to be purchasing at least 6 of their bottles, this is a no-brainer.

Like Jorge, I passed on the “hostage” membership levels, because there’s certain bottlings of TC’s that I do not like. That said, I do think TC is clearly the best winery in Paso ... and when I say “best,” I mean it. Nobody’s better. And, fwiw, the “at least 6 bottles” requirement of the lower rung membership was not enforced on me last year — like I said, they don’t advertise this lower rung membership, and I don’t think they keep track of enforcing the 6 bottle minimum. Heck, for all I know, they no longer offer this level of membership, and I was merely grandfathered in. Nonetheless, it may be worth looking into.

And, lastly, fwiw, the ‘07 Panoplie is *by far* the best Paso wine I’ve ever tasted ... shit, it might be the best wine from *anywhere* that I’ve ever tasted. IMO, it's worth every stinkin' penny of its MSRP.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.