Would have thought there was a note on this wine, as I was wondering if I may have had an off bottle.

• 2009 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Chaine d' Or Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/15/2016)
    PnP, this was tart and tannic a bit harsh even to the point of being a bit bitter. The tannins resolved a bIt with some fruit peaking out but this is just too tart and green and needs to mellow and more fruit to round it out a bit. Hoping my other two bottles show better. (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
I've had a couple bottles of this, most recently January 2015, but I had no notes from that version. My sense would be it was not like yours, otherwise I would have made a note of it to myself. I did open another back in December 2012 shortly after receiving them, and here is what I said:

Aroma of plum and blackberry, with hints of lead/pencil shavings. Taste also has the plum/blackberry combo, with a decent amount of sweetness from the fruit coming through. Finishes pretty easy, not too drying or many tannins. Just not quite complex enough beyond the fruit flavors to get a higher score. 90 points.

It does seem like your bottle was off.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
I must admit perhaps the pop and pour was a mistake yesterday. Tonight this is showing black fruit notes, acidity is tamed and has taken a darker color in appearance. While it is rounder and has improved it still has a bit of a bitter finish.

The Stefania cabs benefit from longer cellaring or, if you can't resist popping one, a longer decant. I have noticed in younger or newly opened bottles, a "greeness" which dissipates with time. I would hold these for another few years, or give a long decant (several hours).
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
I must admit perhaps the pop and pour was a mistake yesterday. Tonight this is showing black fruit notes, acidity is tamed and has taken a darker color in appearance. While it is rounder and has improved it still has a bit of a bitter finish.

The Stefania cabs benefit from longer cellaring or, if you can't resist popping one, a longer decant. I have noticed in younger or newly opened bottles, a "greeness" which dissipates with time. I would hold these for another few years, or give a long decant (several hours).

Thanks Haggis, agreed. However, i must say the experience with the 07 of this wine has been quite different even when popped and poured. Just a better wine for my palate i guess.

Opened my 5th bottle of this wine last night and it was definitely the best so far. Supports what Haggis posted above about cellaring. Big expressive nose of black fruit and spice. Full bodied, well balanced with black cherry and vanilla flavours. Nice finish. 92 pts. Drink or hold but I think I'll keep my last bottle for a few more years.

Add Reply

Likes (0)