• 2009 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Clara Valley (4/1/2012)

Arrived last week, I let it sit a few days before opening.

Another stunner from Paul & Stef. Very dark, quite opaque. Nose of deep rich fruit, some high tones there too. This is smooth as silk on the palate- rich & deep but balanced by good acidity. Medium tannins, this could benefit from some time but it's really delicious now. If I tasted this blind I'd probably guess 97 or 2001 Napa cab, not because of the age but because of the rich and elegant new world fruit. Some of the Santa Cruz high tones are there, but it's deeper than that and doesn't have that eucalyptus profile. Drink now or hold for a dozen or so years. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
Bill- I'm not really sure. I've been buying Stefania wines from the early days, but that's only about 4 or 5 years. I have yet to experience one shutting down, but the time frame might not be long enough to know. Right now Stefania occupies about 8.5% of my cellar, my #1 producer in terms of number of bottles. Because of that I don't hesitate to drink them young. I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking one now even if you only have 3.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Grossie, thanks for posting. I received three of them last week. I figured I would stash them away, but now I may crack one this year. In your opinion, do their wines go through a shutdown period?

You should probably open one at the next offline. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
And the seeds have been successfully planted. Big Grin

LOL

I also decided to try my first of these last night. I agree with Grossie that this is an excellent wine that is very rich and elegant. I picked up red cherry and raspberry that would shift over to darker fruit then come back to the red. There was also an earthiness that would periodically show itself that I really enjoyed. My gut is that there maybe a lot of other elements buried underneath the fruit that will come out with more time.

Comparing this to the 08, I think that the 08 may have been a little more complex on release, while the 09 maybe a little richer. I love both wines and am looking forward to watching them develop over the years.
I had this tonight. Nice wine, but too early for sure. I had the 2008 at this point last year and found it much more enjoyable and approachable. I did get some good dark fruit and tobacco taste/aroma out of this one, but the tannins were definitely present. I scored this one 90 points.
Opened one tonight for grilled steaks. As I type this, I just poured myself the last of what has been in the decanter for 4-1/2 hours.

I wondered earlier in this thread if these go through a shutdown period, and I think they may be in a bit of one now based on this bottle. However, it is showing some really nice stuff that makes me think it will be awesome in maybe 2-3 years.

Inky/purple color in the glass. Huge black fruit aromas with hints of violet and menthol. The brown sugar notes I smelled earlier have mostly gone away. Full mouthfeel. The tannins are very prominent, but there is also plum, blackberry, a hint of tart cherry and baker's chocolate. My wife got some black licorice. The early oakiness has faded. Wonderful acidity. This has a lot of components that I think will work better together with a bit more time. It improved dramatically for me while drinking throughout the evening. 92+, but hold a while.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Haggis, I opened one in October of last year and found it excellent, but in need of more time or a good decant.

Hope all is well with you in the frozen finger lakes region.

Thanks. I have enough that I might open one this weekend.

Yes, all is well here! Not as frozen as your neck of the tundra Wink. Big change from HI.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Haggis, I opened one in October of last year and found it excellent, but in need of more time or a good decant.

Hope all is well with you in the frozen finger lakes region.

Thanks. I have enough that I might open one this weekend.

Yes, all is well here! Not as frozen as your neck of the tundra Wink. Big change from HI.

Well, I did NOT open one that weekend in Aug. 2015, but did tonight. This is great, right out of the bottle. Many of the notes from billhike a couple of years ago are spot on. However, the tannins are now fully integrated and oh so soft. This is what I call a "dark" cab: black cherry, dark plum, dark chocolate. Beautiful. Glad I waited! This will be gorgeous for another 7-10 yrs, but opening now is definitely warranted. One of the best Stefanias ever. 94pts.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Haggis, thanks for the update. According to CT I have just one more of these. Sounds like it's in a really good place.

Very good place. Just polished off the bottle, two days later. Still plush and full. Let it stand for a couple of days, as it is throwing a lot of sediment.
I opened another one of these two days ago. My notes from April this year are still how I experienced this 09 CC. Fantastic, and I remain of the view that this is one of the best Stefanias ever. This has several good years ahead of it, but with a several hour decant, it is great now. 94

Add Reply

Likes (0)