2009 Bodegas Muga Seleccion Especial Reserva Rioja

We first tasted this wine after about 2 hours in the decanter.

The bouquet just jumps out of the glass offering blackberries, licorice, smokey wood, hints of leather and herbal notes. On the palate, black cherry, licorice, spice and very forward tannin.

After about 3 hours the wine really started opening up more on the palate with the oak and tannins becoming much less forward, and the red fruit flavors and wonderful spiciness became dominate with a nice acidic balance throughout.

I liked the wine, feel it will get better and more seamless with age. With less than a 1000 cases made, I bought more yesterday. I look forward to drinking the wine over the next 20 years.
Original Post
Very dark and primal. Lots of black cherry and animal meaty notes with dollops of leather and vanilla. Very good structure underneath that deceivingly seems approachable but needs a good 5-7 years before becoming truly ready to drink. Good acidity which lingers on the long and fine tannic finish. 92+.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Very dark and primal. Lots of black cherry and animal meaty notes with dollops of leather and vanilla. Very good structure underneath that deceivingly seems approachable but needs a good 5-7 years before becoming truly ready to drink. Good acidity which lingers on the long and fine tannic finish. 92+.

Thanks for taking one for the team Mim. Any idea how the 2004 is drinking Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

Thanks for taking one for the team Mim. Any idea how the 2004 is drinking Wink

Haven't had the 2004 or at least not in a while.
Guilty. Guilty, guilty, guilty! Thats the first thing that comes to mind as I begin this post. I read the reviews, the tasting notes, etc. All signs pointed to the fact that as I walked in this evening, telling my wife a "lil white lie" that this in fact WAS the wine I had shipped... Shhh... Costco find, on a pallet yet to be "un-shrink-wrapped, in a sealed case of 12. At an obviously unpassable price of 29.99... That I SHOULD just place the SEALED box in the cellar. But couldn't resist. So might as well share right? Opened approx 90 minutes ago. Stunning color, bright ruby delving deep into the glass to give off a purple core and even tone. Notes are cool, perhaps of menthol and cedar, perfume like and aromatic on the nose. First impression on the palate it's obviously very young, yet approachable. Gorgeous red berry bursts, cherries, and a smoky undertone that permeates throughout the finish. And the finish... And the finish...... (subtext, got called away from the table for a "honey-do") and realized a full five minutes later I still had this delicious cherry lip smacking "memories of jolly rancher as a child" kind of flavor. Lingering is an understatement.

Should any be interested in checking their local "BIG BOX" here is the item number: 983445

Just don't come to my 'hood Devilish I'm on a mission, but of course willing to share. Just in 5-7 years like Mimik and W+A advises. And enjoy...
quote:
Originally posted by Vinolocity:
Guilty. Guilty, guilty, guilty! Thats the first thing that comes to mind as I begin this post. I read the reviews, the tasting notes, etc. All signs pointed to the fact that as I walked in this evening, telling my wife a "lil white lie" that this in fact WAS the wine I had shipped... Shhh... Costco find, on a pallet yet to be "un-shrink-wrapped, in a sealed case of 12. At an obviously unpassable price of 29.99... That I SHOULD just place the SEALED box in the cellar. But couldn't resist. So might as well share right? Opened approx 90 minutes ago. Stunning color, bright ruby delving deep into the glass to give off a purple core and even tone. Notes are cool, perhaps of menthol and cedar, perfume like and aromatic on the nose. First impression on the palate it's obviously very young, yet approachable. Gorgeous red berry bursts, cherries, and a smoky undertone that permeates throughout the finish. And the finish... And the finish...... (subtext, got called away from the table for a "honey-do") and realized a full five minutes later I still had this delicious cherry lip smacking "memories of jolly rancher as a child" kind of flavor. Lingering is an understatement.

Should any be interested in checking their local "BIG BOX" here is the item number: 983445

Just don't come to my 'hood Devilish I'm on a mission, but of course willing to share. Just in 5-7 years like Mimik and W+A advises. And enjoy...

Good to know . . . at $30, worth trying to find this
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
I ordered a few of the 09, based on the recommendations here.

I've also ordered 6 of the 2001 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904, based on the ecstatic recommendation of a friend. I'm hoping to pop one of them later this week.

Does anyone have experience with La Rioja Alta 904?

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=841466

Haven't had the 904, but have been struggling not to burn through our 6-pack of their '01 Riserva Especial bottling. Drinking beautifully right now!

Typing this after about 2-1/2 hours decant time. Cherries, dark berries and a faint hint of leather on the nose. Medium-full weight with really balanced acid and some fine tannins that add a nice grip, without seeming to detract anything. Flavors are dominated by a mix of ripe and tart cherries with a little cocoa powder. I remember this being much oakier the last time I had it; it's integrated much better now. This wine surely has plenty of life ahead,  but IMO delicious now and well worth opening with some air. 91-92.

Add Reply

Likes (0)