I know that several have discussed doing an Italian offline in Italy this year. It appears that this might be a fairly small group, so I'd like to throw out the possibility of doing a domestic (this side of the pond) Italian offline to continue the tradition that was begun several years ago. Late spring or early summer. Any interest?

PH
Original Post
I think that would be great. Let's see what kind of interest we get for this year's event, but Toronto sounds just fine to me. I think I've had all my shots...... Razz

If worse comes to worst, I'll just motor up there, raid your cellars and we can make some ossubuco. Cool

PH
Oh I think you know that I already have plenty of Italian goodies. Actually I probably will not be able to make it if it is in late June as my wife will be away then for a week and I will need to stay home with the kids. Where is she going? Toronto. Going with my oldest on a church mission trip, must help out you underprivledged Canadians.
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
Maybe us MD/VA/DC'ers will just rent a giant RV and pick the NJ/NY'ers up on the way.

I could only imagine how that trip would turn out!!! Popcorn

That sounds like the road trip of the year and the potential to provide plenty of comedic material.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Sorry for the off-topic.

sarbuze, didn;t you buy some really nice Spanish wines from someone in the Buying and Selling forum? Ever open any?

Per your recommendation, I did! And so far opened one '03 Clos Mogador with the MD people last summer...wow, what a wine. As per your rec, I'm holding off on the two '04's I bought in that transaction as well.

That said...I'm doing a Spanish wine tasting next Thursday with a restaurant I'm helping out. I'll be pouring a Priorat, two Ribera del Duero's, a couple from Jumilla, a Txakoli and a Cava...haven't picked the wines yet, but if you have any recs (good QPR is important) I'd love to see if the distributors can get me them in time!

Oh- and you think the '05 Clos Mogador is worth $90?
Yeah, I loved the '03 Clos Mogador too. I haven't tried the '05, but the '05 Rene Barbier barrel samples were amazing.

For good QPR, from Priorat I have one great recommendation- anything you can find from Mas Igneus, red or white. From Ribera del Duero, probably one of the Pesquera wines. From Jumilla, there's always Clio, which I love, but if you want something less expensive but still very good to excellent, go for Juan Gil, Finca Luzon, Altos de Luzon- actually almost anything from Jumilla. The best Cava I've had recently is N.V. Segura Viudas Cava Brut Reserva Heredad.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Yeah, I loved the '03 Clos Mogador too. I haven't tried the '05, but the '05 Rene Barbier barrel samples were amazing.

To continue the drift:
I've not had the 03 Clos Mogador, but have had the '99 and '01. Both fantastic. I'm cellaring anything younger than that, and C-M is a big 'buy' in my book. Wink(just had to throw in my .02)
I'm loving the idea of a local Italfest on this side of the pond, surely. And far be it for me to want to throw water on the road trip rally cry.

Just one thought (reality check) to a Canadian based offline is the (legal) bottle limitation coming over the border (it's 2 per person). Now you can bring as many as you want, and Customs will just tack duty on anything over the 2/person (about 65% the claimed value, I believe). Now this will be almost a non issue for the RV boys. But for the cowboys, and others flying into this shindig, it's an issue to consider.

Now, all that to say that, we Canadians have been dealing with this issue, in the reverse, for years so maybe no issue at all. Just some up front creativity required is all I'm sayin'. Wink

And yes, it's not looking good for D and I to get over to 'the big one' in Italy. Red Face
Hate to say it, but times are, admittedly, just a tad touchy these days and that trip will likely have to hold a little, for us anyway. I do know there is a small group still planned to go and will be there.
Frustrating to miss, but a likely reality. Frown

(Sorry, my friend, Jochems. Just an unfortunate delay in time)
OK, I'll be the first to broach the subject.

Doesn't it seem a little "odd" for lack of a better term to be planning an Italian offline in lieu of the "official" Italian offline that most dropped out of after planning it? Confused

Oh, btw, like the other one I had all intentions of attending but couldn't make because of the dates...ditto here. Depends on the dates whether I could do it or not.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
OK, I'll be the first to broach the subject.

Doesn't it seem a little "odd" for lack of a better term to be planning an Italian offline in lieu of the "official" Italian offline that most dropped out of after planning it? Confused

Oh, btw, like the other one I had all intentions of attending but couldn't make because of the dates...ditto here. Depends on the dates whether I could do it or not.

I can understand where you're coming from Joe. Maybe we can consider this as a more cost-effective Italian offline? Flying to Toronto is cheaper than flying to Italy (except for Jochems), and it's more justifiable to stay here for a weekend than Italy for the same durations. Besides, after three days the locals get restless and want you out anyway. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

Flying to Toronto is cheaper than flying to Italy Razz

Not necessarily true (today for me Toronto direct = $1,232 vs. Pisa direct = $1,187) but I get your point. I will probably do both since I have already planned business around the Montalcino off-line.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:

Not necessarily true (today for me Toronto direct = $1,232 vs. Pisa direct = $1,187) but I get your point. I will probably do both since I have already planned business around the Montalcino off-line.

Non-stop flights with Air Canada departing June 11, returning June 14 from Richmond --> Toronto for $429USD all in. Check Expedia. Razz

You get Star Alliance points too in case you were looking at United flights.

Not that it's going to be the date or anything, but flying within North America is cheaper than transatlantic generally speaking.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:

Non-stop flights with Air Canada departing June 11, returning June 14 from Richmond --> Toronto for $429USD all in. Check Expedia. Razz

You get Star Alliance points too in case you were looking at United flights.

Not that it's going to be the date or anything, but flying within North America is cheaper than transatlantic generally speaking.

Can I hire you as my travel agent? I looked at our corp. travel site (which is supposed to be the BEST deal) and looked at the next weekend to get my pricing. Should have known you would check me. Wink

Add Reply

Likes (0)