well, Kim Crawford has done it yet again! Quite possibly the most consistent producer of Sauv. Blanc in the world.

1/23/2009
-- cracked and poured --
-- tasted non-blind --

NOSE: acidic; grapefruit and minerals with a slight green element to it ... very nice-smelling Sauv. Blanc

BODY: nearly clear-colored; medium bodied

TASTE: lush mouthfeel for a Sauv. Blanc: nice citrus and pear notes; medium-long finish. Solid bottling year-in, year-out ... this is no exception.

B: 50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = 90
Original Post
Have to disagree on the most consistant sav producer in the world- that would have to go to Cloudy Bay whom have been doing it since the 70's. And Kim Crawford has had his troubles with wine audits in the past.

(Ie whats in the bottle isn't always whats on the label - a big incident that was never prosecuted with Coopers Creek back in the early 90's.)

However to be fair since the late 90's he certainly has lifted his game and left the controversy's behind him.
90 points if a fair score if you like cat's pee on a gooseberry bush. I can't drink his Sauv Blancs any more, though. Just too verdant for me.

It's odd that Crawford is so consistent with the Sauv, but still struggles with every other wine in the portfolio - red or white. Tasting them blind, I peg them all for $8 plonk.
I'm also a big fan of KC Sauv Blanc. They used to represent an extremely good value at $10-$12 per bottle, but I've seen them creeping up a bit to more near $15-$17 in some cases. That's outside what I'm really willing to pay for a SB. There are a few others that are almost as good for $5 less. When it's on special, though, I buy.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:

The 07 sounds better anyway!

I was not a fan of the 07 vintage for NZ SB, and IMO the 08 KC was slightly better than the 07 as it had more acidity. The 06 blew both years away.

Definitely agree the 08 KC is better than the 07, which was his weakest SB in the past 5 years imo.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:

Quite possibly the most consistent producer of Sauv. Blanc in the world.

My vote goes to the late Didier Dagueneau.

Not exactly a fair comparison at the two price points. I cook with KC and it has the added bonus of being very drinkable while I'm doing the cooking. I'm certainly not going to throw a cup of Pur Sang into the pan to deglaze. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:

Quite possibly the most consistent producer of Sauv. Blanc in the world.

My vote goes to the late Didier Dagueneau.

Not exactly a fair comparison at the two price points. I cook with KC and it has the added bonus of being very drinkable while I'm doing the cooking. I'm certainly not going to throw a cup of Pur Sang into the pan to deglaze. Big Grin

The question was... Most Consistent, and I repeat, Dagueneau! Razz
quote:
Originally posted by escape:
wine + art

Clearly Dags was a genius.....and clearly these two makers are in very different classes.

I don't know if I would say that. KC's sav blanc is marketed at the cheaper end of the market. He has also been involved in some of the top wines produced in NZ since the 80's. He also produces single vineyard wines that are very very good.

I doubt Didier Daganau could produce chardonnay, pinot noir, bubbles, syrah, merlot, cabernet, gewurztraminer, riesling, sav blanc and pinot gris across tiers of wine prices with consistant quality from average (Kim crawford label) to very very good (His Small Parcel wines and numerous other wineries he has worked at.).

Add Reply

Likes (0)