We've gone through 3 bottles of this in the last month, it is drinking amazingly well. On par with 2000, 2001, and 2004, i.e. excellent wines that seemed to drink well and never shut down. Low to mid 90pt wines for me. All drinking much better than 2003, 2005 and 2007. Not sure what the 2003 will turn into, but 2005 and 2007 have the stuffing to make incredible wines down the road.
Opened my second of these last weekend, and while still not a great wine, it was noticeably better than the first one, which was a little dirty. We drank this alongside the 2010 with braised short ribs and mushroom risotto.

2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/19/2013)
Dinner with Friends (Oswego): Popped & poured just before dinner and followed over four+ hours. Immediately better than the last bottle- no brettanomyces or overly vegetal qualities here. Dark fruit, plum and roasted game aromas at first. Develops lovely garrigue and violet notes as it opens. Medium-bodied, with plum, meat, iron, earth and garrigue flavors. Finishes quite nicely. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
PnP and then decant after pouring the first 2 glasses? Does it need a lot of air before drinking?

I think your plan is perfect. It was pretty much ready to go right out of the bottle IMO.

Agreed.
Totally flawed. Bretty as hell, the barnyard, leather horse saddle and manure nose says it all. Overpowers and mutes everything else. Undrinkable. My wife was ticked off and i made the mistake of not bringing a plan B. Bang

Seriously, how can there be so much bottle variation? Notes on this wine are totally polarizing. I have 3 more, i hope i get lucky and get a clean bottle. Pegau needs to clean up their act. Seems unacceptable to me.
Smoke 'em if you've got 'em, boys!

Having my last of I think six bottles. This is a totally drinkable, in-the-slot Pegau which is currently causing my wife and I to drool between pre-dinner sips. And we haven't even gotten 20 minutes from the pop-n-pour.

All of my bottles have been consistent, but I am thinking this is the best. Might be time to start knocking the bottom out of these. Very pinot-like in body, lots of cherry flavor, with some smoke and rare beef notes in a resolved tannin backbone. Will drink at least another five years but I wouldn't wait. Delicious. 93 points.

Add Reply

Likes (0)