2007 Cayuse En Cerise Syrah

Opened this for my friend's 54th birthday yesterday. No formal notes, just what I can remember of last night, which isn't a lot.

Really should have decanted for a couple hours at least before serving, but we didn't wait. Popped and poured, my initial thought upon tasting was that there was a bit of a funk to it, like grilled mutton. But I may have been confused, as we were having grilled lamb chops for dinner. My friend loved it, though.
At 8 years, this wine is still a powerhouse. Red and black fruits charging over the palate like Sherman's march through Georgia. Predominate flavors were still of toast and grilled meat. Completely overpowered the bottle of 2008 Quilceda Creek Red that I had opened earlier, which was much more restrained.
Original Post

Opened another last night, with a grilled, 2 lb. t-bone, heirloom tomatoes, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and fresh garlic bread.  No decant seemed to be needed. At 11 years, it has integrated quite a bit since that last note. Smoother, and more refined, oddly going down like chocolate milk. But still carrying subtler notes of toast and grilled meat, along with dark fruit.

I think there are still 3-5 years left in it before it peaks, but it is drinking remarkably well right now. 94 pts.

Add Reply

Likes (0)