K&L direct imports can be hit or miss for me.  This, however, is the real deal.  $70, but punches way above its price class, this compares (favorably) to vintage Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs and is almost (not quite) the same quality as the oft lauded 1995 Charles Heidsiek BdB when it was younger.

I tend to prefer my Champagne a bit warmer than most people (probably 45-50 degrees F) but this seems at its best slightly cooler (maybe in the 40-45 degrees F range).  The nose and palate are perfectly seamless in flavor profile.  Apple and citrus zest fruit are complimented in equal -- if not greater -- part by buttered toast, Boursin (yes, the cream cheese), raw almond and a slight fino sherry component.  The mouthfeel is wonderful with millions of tiny bubbles -- despite a wine that appears not too bubbly at all.  A hint of caramel that was present on the nose, and made itself more known on the palate is quite noticeable on the finish. The finish is long but there is a bit of sharpness right as the transition to the finish occurs are there is also slight heat at the back despite a modest 12% abv.  

Tasted twice with consistent notes.  Excellent qpr.  92.5(+?)

Original Post

Add Reply

Likes (0)