Skip to main content

We had our final bottle of this wine last night. I thought we had finished them previously, but digging through a bin, I found it, even though my cellar log had it as finished. I wish I still had a few more. This wine has matured very well and is showing even better than excellent previous bottles. I hope if any of you are holding this that you'll post notes when you open them. This wine has lost none of its fruit and is beautifully balanced.
Opened a bottle tonight for some grilled filets. Plus, the workday really pissed me off and I wanted something that would turn my frown upside down! Woot

I'm typing this as the bottle has now passed the 3-hour mark since opening - no decanting. Beautiful deep, dark red color. At first, the nose was dominated by the mint and eucalyptus notes. Now, those are just components of a wonderfully complex aroma. I'm getting blackberry, black licorice, pencil shavings, graphite and leather. The mouthfeel is a tad lighter than one might expect from a California Cab. "Mouthwatering acidity" isn't something I normally associate with this varietal, but to me it's there. In a good, lively way. Plums, cherries and blueberries. The tannins on the back end are grippy but smooth. I can see where some earlier posts said this reminded them a bit of southern hemisphere cabs. Mint and cream blend with the fruit on the fairly long finish.

Great effort. In a really nice place right now IMO. 92.

Last week while looking for a bottle of wine which wasn't where it was supposed to be I pulled a bottle of this from the back of a shelf. I thought I had drunk all of these several years ago.

Decided to open it to go with some pan roasted duck breast. Stood up for the day because I could see there was a lot of sediment. and decanted just before dinner. I forgot Paul & Stef used a semi-clear bottle back in the early days. I expected this wine to be showing some signs of age but there was zero orange tinge to the colour. Still very dark and a terrific nose of black fruit, leather and a hint of eucalyptus...not Don Melchor strong, just a hint which I recall from Stefania's earlier vintages of the SC cab. On the palate, loads of black cherry and great mouthfeel. Tannins are completely resolved and really silky with a long juicy finish.

Really outstanding and I was a little surprised how well this had aged. No rush to drink if anyone still has some, although I don't see it improving. I'd give this a 93. Really well done Paul & Stef.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.