2006 Rene Rostaing - Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Classique (France, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)

2006 Rene Rostaing Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Classique - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (12/5/2012)
-- decanted immediately before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over approx. 6 hours --

NOSE: a bit tart; weedy; red-fruited; moderately expressive; smells like it’s going to be thin/weak/insipid on the palate; hint of petroleum jelly; light soy sauce smokiness; with air, the fruit turned darker; overall, quite odd for a Cote Rotie.

BODY: garnet-ruby color, with a little bit of bricking creeping in: this does look older than it actually is; color is of medium-light to medium depth; fine particulate matter present; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: acidic; not much tannin; low concentration of fruit; dried herbs on the finish – marjoram, sage, oregano; black tea; weak red fruits; tart; loosely knit; 13% alc. not noticeable; notes of smoke and tar emerge with air (~5 hours), but these notes are not strong; overall, a rather ho-hum wine.

B: 50, 4, 11, 15, 6 = (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
I don't think it was damaged --- it didn't come across as flawed or damaged; just a weak wine. Most CT notes sound like they're describing the same wine, although there is the usual difference of opinion as to whether it is a good wine or not.

It was sold to me as a "solid Cote Rotie that is drinking well now.", so I kind of knew going in that it might very well be a disappointment (b/c, c'mon, the selling point for a very good 2006 Cote Rotie really shouldn't be "drinking well right now").

Add Reply

Likes (0)