Skip to main content

Harvy Steiman has several blog entries on the subject, and WS has a few reviews.

We've been drinking the earlier releases since summer. Loved the O'Reilly's. Jezebel and Eola Hills both show well. A to Z and some others are a bit on the soft side. Evesham Wood shows a surprising amount of structure.

The better wines are hitting the shelves now. I mentioned in another thread that you can't go wrong with any of the Patricia Green or Ken Wright releases. Overall, I'd rate their wines higher for the '06s than the '04s. The same goes for Penner-Ash, but in a riper style more appealing to new world palates. The Penner-Ash Shea vineyard is really over the top.
Of wines not released yet, I'm looking forward to the Shea (Dick Shea's own label)and Le Cadeau selections.

All of the '06 wines are not going to be just for early drinking. They may be high in alcohol, but the acidity is much better than in '03, another hot year.
quote:
Originally posted by escape:
Has anyone seen a report on the vintage? Any reviews of particular wines?


Give WIML a call, he and Purple were up their this past summer and they tasted a ton of wine, you could also go to Winodepot and drop Benchland a PM since he has a restraunt about 45 miles from the heart of Oregon wine country and stays on top of what is going on.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
I'm looking forward to the Shea (Dick Shea's own label)

I met with Dick earlier this week and tasted his 06 Estate which seems to have a very promising future.

The 06's I've had so far also seem very promising and those include Penner Ash, Evesham Wood (WV - great structure so I burried two cases to pour BTG next spring) and Beaux Freres. I don't have notes around me now as I know I've tasted a few more great examples but I can say I'll be loading up my list with these as they offer the best of both worlds for a restaurant - approachable young and ageworthy.
Haven’t we covered this recently?

It’s still very early to make a call as many of the better wines have yet to be released. But based on the wines that I’ve tried so far and the winemakers comments, it’s going to be a very, very good vintage. Seems to be of more uniform and excellent quality than the spotty and often disjointed ‘05 (usually depends on if they picked before or during the rains) and it will certainly be more enjoyable out of the gate, yet still be a good wine to age. I doubt it’s up to par with the ‘02, but across the board, probably better than any vintage since.

I will certainly be buying a lot from this vintage.
I figured that it was time to stir the pot a bit. Razz Many of the '06's are out. And, while obviously young, my intial impression (based on a limited sample) is that, in general, I prefer '05 over '06.

On a scale of:

0 -- Didn't finish the bottle, poured the remainder down the drain.
1 -- Finished the bottle, but would not buy again.
2 -- Finished the bottle and would buy again, but probably would not serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
3 -- Would serve anytime.
4 -- WOW

My impressions of the '06 Oregon Pinots that I have tasted over the past 3+ months are (no particular order, except that last two are the most recent tasted):

Ken Wright Carter 1
Sineann Covey Ridge 1+
Westrey Abbey Ridge 3
Grochau Cellars Cuvee de Amis 2
Shea Willamette Valley 1
Le Cadeau Cote Est 1+
Illahe Willamette Valley 1
Bethel Heights Willamette Valley 1
Siduri Willamette Valley 1
Cloudline 1
Benton Lane 1
Lemelson Meyer 2
Witness Tree Vintage Select 2+

My primary objection to many of the ones that I did not particularly care for is that they were unbalanced and showed an excessive amount of alcohol.

I know that some have proclaimed this the most recent vintage of the century for Oregon. But, so far, I don't see it. Let the stoning begin. Big Grin
Dude,
That Shea is a really nice O PN.
I’ve only had the Le Cadeau Rocheux and is was great. Can’t wait to try through the rest of the ‘06's.

I have not found the vintage to be high alcohol, but then again, I’m not a prude about heat either.
I think you should try a few more of the single vineyards before you call it quits. I’m still buying ‘06 and after hearing a few comments on ‘07 O PN, I may buy even more.

Thanks for the notes!
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Going to Oregon in a few weeks and plan on trying as many pinots as I can. Bergstrom, Penner-Ash and Raptor Ridge are on my short list for visiting their tasting rooms. Any others that people here would suggest??

J.K. Carriere, Le Cadeau and Chehalem at the same time, Hammacher, Witness Tree, Bethel Heights, Eyrie, Scott Paul and on and on and on.
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
I figured that it was time to stir the pot a bit. Razz Many of the '06's are out. And, while obviously young, my intial impression (based on a limited sample) is that, in general, I prefer '05 over '06.

On a scale of:

0 -- Didn't finish the bottle, poured the remainder down the drain.
1 -- Finished the bottle, but would not buy again.
2 -- Finished the bottle and would buy again, but probably would not serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
3 -- Would serve anytime.
4 -- WOW

My impressions of the '06 Oregon Pinots that I have tasted over the past 3+ months are (no particular order, except that last two are the most recent tasted):

Ken Wright Carter 1
Sineann Covey Ridge 1+
Westrey Abbey Ridge 3
Grochau Cellars Cuvee de Amis 2
Shea Willamette Valley 1
Le Cadeau Cote Est 1+
Illahe Willamette Valley 1
Bethel Heights Willamette Valley 1
Siduri Willamette Valley 1
Cloudline 1
Benton Lane 1
Lemelson Meyer 2
Witness Tree Vintage Select 2+

My primary objection to many of the ones that I did not particularly care for is that they were unbalanced and showed an excessive amount of alcohol.

I know that some have proclaimed this the most recent vintage of the century for Oregon. But, so far, I don't see it. Let the stoning begin. Big Grin


Dang, ripping through them, heh? I've only opened and tasted one bottle of 2006 Oregon Pinot so far. 2006 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir Cuvée Martha Pirrie. It hit the 90 pt mark for me.
For me, there was noticeable oak on the Shea Estate. It was totally different than the 2004. Did anyone else feel this way? The nose was pretty, but, in my opinion, there was a lot of vanilla on the palate. I have often wondered if I am sensitive to the flavor or just get fixated on it (or both). Does this typically integrate with age?
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
For me, there was noticeable oak on the Shea Estate. It was totally different than the 2004. Did anyone else feel this way? The nose was pretty, but, in my opinion, there was a lot of vanilla on the palate. I have often wondered if I am sensitive to the flavor or just get fixated on it (or both). Does this typically integrate with age?


I noticed the oak last year but it wasn't to the point that I was concerned. IMO, the wine will swallow it over the short term.
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
Dude,
That Shea is a really nice O PN.
I’ve only had the Le Cadeau Rocheux and is was great. Can’t wait to try through the rest of the ‘06's.

I have not found the vintage to be high alcohol, but then again, I’m not a prude about heat either.
I think you should try a few more of the single vineyards before you call it quits. I’m still buying ‘06 and after hearing a few comments on ‘07 O PN, I may buy even more.

Thanks for the notes!


I'm not calling it quits yet. However, of the wines that I have tasted both the '05 and '06 (Shea Willamette Valley, Le Cadeau Cote Est, Bethel Heights Willamette Valley, Lemelson Meyer and Witness Tree VS), I definately prefer the '05's over the '06's.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:

Dang, ripping through them, heh? I've only opened and tasted one bottle of 2006 Oregon Pinot so far. 2006 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir Cuvée Martha Pirrie. It hit the 90 pt mark for me.


After barrel tasting at Thomas and Westrey in early April (IMO, the '07 Thomas will be better than the '06 and the '07 Westrey Abbey Ridge has the potential to be better than the '06) and talking with several other winemakers, I became a bit cautious about the '06's. I have bought '06's, but only a little over 3 cases. The question is do I buy more? For me, probably not, unless I specifically taste it and like it. Since I like many of the '05 vintage of a specific wine better than the '06 vintage, I'm more inclined to keep picking-up '05's as I come across them. But that's just me.
I think Sharkey is being unnecessarily tough on the 2006 Oregon PNs. The '05s are far more complex and ageworthy, but the '06s provide mighty good drinking while waiting for the '05s to come around.

Lately of the '06s I've had:

Cameron Dundee Hills Great QPR for the ~$18 I paid. Drinking well now and for a few years.
Ilahe. Same as above. Richer, but a shade too ripe and overoaked.
Jezebel. Has a bit of funk that some love. Far more comples than you would expect for the Sub $20 tab.
Sineann Schlinder. Super rich and satisfying. I don't see it improving with age.
Patricia Green Croft. The quick maturing Croft is fully ready.
Patricia Green Estate Reserve. More structured than any of the above, but still in drinking condition. No hurry on this one.
Scott Paul La Paulée. Forward and lush for a Scott Paul wine. Will get better in the next 2-5 years.
Viridian. Another bargain Pinot worth drinking. Far better than the AtoZ or Cloudline at about the same price.

I've had lots of other '06s at the wineries and at tastings, and few disappoint.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
The '05s are far more complex and ageworthy,


I agree 100%.

quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
but the '06s provide mighty good drinking while waiting for the '05s to come around.


Agree for a few of the better ones that I have tasted. However, in general, I probably prefer the '04's over the '06's, while waiting for the '05's.

quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Lately of the '06s I've had:

Ilahe. Same as above. Richer, but a shade too ripe and overoaked.


Definately way too ripe and overoaked. Second worst of the ones that I have tasted. Only the Ken Wright Carter was more disjointed and hotter.

The Illahe is the only one on your list that I have tasted. I'll be on the lookout for the others. I am definately interested to try the Cameron lineup. I've never heard of Viridian. Thanks for the suggestion!
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
quote:
Will be in Dundee and Carlton next Monday and Tuesday, I will do one for the team and taste as many as possible. Notes to follow if I make it home.


Does Sineann have a tasting room? Couldn't find one on the website. Also, has anyone been to the Bethel Heights winery?


Sineann kind of sort of has a tasting room. You have to call Peter and leave a message on his machine that you'd like to setup a time to visit and he'll meet you at another winery close by where he pour his wines.

I visited Bethel Heights a year ago. We had a very nice tasting and I was surprised at the quality of the wines across the boards. No excellent wines, just solid ones across the line. The view is lovely from their deck. If you visit someplace close by like Witness Tree then definitely stop in. No appointment required. You can also stop into Cristom along the way.
Some Sineann wines can be tasted at the Medici tasting room that is on Hwy 99 just as you enter Newberg from the north. The selection of wines that they are pouring changes daily, so if you want to taste a wider selection of Sineann, you are better off making an appointment.

The Ponzi wine bar in Dundee is another place to taste a variety of wines without visiting each vineyard. Again, the selection varies. The store has an unusually wide selection of half bottles.
The Carlton wine cooperative is always worth a visit.

Here is the indispensable link for Willamette wineries.

useful link

Sharkey. Obviously you don't like over ripe, over-extraction and over use of charred oak. Have you tried the '06 Chehalem? It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from Argyle, Penner-Ash, Bergstrom etc.
I have tried a great deal of the Oregon 06s. Overall, I feel they are much more approachable at this stage than the 05s. I will concede that they are a little less complex and more fruit forward than the 05s, but they are very nice wines overall. Some of my favorites include: Shea-Homer & Pommard Clone, Lemelson-Stermer & Jerome's, Prive-Le Sud, Sharecoppers, Patty Green-Balcombe, Penner Ash-Dussin & Shea. As far as the 07s, I have been very disappointed with the barrel tastings to date. It seems to me that the late rain had a big impact on the vintage. I will keep trying them and remain hopeful.
Hi Sharkey,
Our 2006s are, as people have been mentioning, ripe and approachable. To date, we have only released the 3 Vineyard and Corral Creek. The others will be released in the fall.

I would generally agree with people's assessment of two vintages: the 2006s are showing well now, with the 2005s are just coming into their own. That said, 2005 was somewhat challenging, at times showing a reductive quality that made them a little unruly at first. Some of them, I think, will still be going strong many years from now.

There is a factor, however, that complicates the generalities. We have found that in a warm vintage like 2006 the higher elevation, cooler sites (like our Ridgecrest Vineyard) did magnificently, however, in 2007, it was warmer sites (like Stoller) that showed the best. It will be interesting to see if our experience matches other people's. Certainly, there are great wines to be had in both vintages.



quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
pape du neuf -- I have not had any of the '06 Chehalem's. I have had a few Chehalem's from previous vintages (would have to look up exactly which ones) that have been enjoyable. I also like the work that Harry Petersen-Nedry and Mike Eyres have done with Le Cadeau.
quote:
Originally posted by DrinkumAll:
I have tried a great deal of the Oregon 06s. Overall, I feel they are much more approachable at this stage than the 05s. I will concede that they are a little less complex and more fruit forward than the 05s, but they are very nice wines overall. Some of my favorites include: Shea-Homer & Pommard Clone, Lemelson-Stermer & Jerome's, Prive-Le Sud, Sharecoppers, Patty Green-Balcombe, Penner Ash-Dussin & Shea. As far as the 07s, I have been very disappointed with the barrel tastings to date. It seems to me that the late rain had a big impact on the vintage. I will keep trying them and remain hopeful.


The Lemelson Stermer has been one of my favorites over the past few years. I'm planning to taste one of the '06's in the next couple of weeks or so. I've already tried the '06 Lemelson Meyer and, as I noted, it was nice. As you mention, definately approachable now. However, IMHO, the '05 Lemelson Meyer is superior to the '06. And, that, in a nutshell, is the basic point for me. In general, my available Oregon Pinot budget is being spent on adding good '05's that I find rather than on '06's.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×