Wow!

I was worried my palate was off. Then I tried this. Decanted 1 hour. This is a dark and almost Pauillac-like Burgundy. There is creoste, “dark” saddle leather, strawberry rhubarb pie, blueberry pie, more rhubarb, something medium green — but not unpleasant — moss, and decaying leaves all on the nose. Transition to palate is seemless. Emphasis on the palate for the darker fruits and decaying leaves, but with everything else there, as well. Long finish. The wine got better as it sat in the decanter. Ideally, I would wait another 4 years, but excellent now with the decant. I believe this is a winery re-release as a few different places have noticable stock on this wine. If looking for a +/- $200 Burgundy to drink sooner rather than later, this is an outstanding choice. 93

Original Post

Thanks for the note.  I have a lot of 2005 red burgundy.  The last one I opened in 2016 (a Mercurey 1er cru) was painfully young.  I'll open another one next year.  It may take a long time (never) for the 2005s to come around to the style I like:  bright red fruit, not earthy dark fruit.

Add Reply

Likes (0)