I am new to the forum, so a hello to everyone and a thank you in advance to anyone who provides feedback on my post!

With great anticipation I received a case of the 2005 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet after reading about the 95 score from spectator. I am an avid “value” seeker and have enjoyed Columbia Crest wines for their everyday drinkability. Usually I’ll drink two or three bottles before I form an opinion so this may be a bit premature (I have only had one). While very good, I was a bit under-whelmed by this wine. I even drank it over three days (a miracle for a bottle to last more than two evenings in my house!) to see if it would “open up” further. I have enjoyed many excellent 90-93 rated Cabernets (mostly Californian and Chilean), so I was expecting greater nuances and “depth” with this one. My plans are to let these bottles rest for a year or two with hope that this wine will prove worthy of its high accolades.
Original Post
Welcome.

Not that it's a big deal, but you posted this in the "Wine Conversations" forum rather than the "Tasting Notes" section. That may have been better.

Otherwise....I tried this wine about a month ago. Here's my notes:

https://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3146...=737104475#737104475

I don't see this ever being a 95 pt. wine, unless you like chewing on tanbark. My general rule of thumb:

unimpressive wine + time in the cellar = aged unimpressive wine.

Best of luck though....miracles do happen from time to time.
quote:
Originally posted by E. Guido:
I find it difficult to swallow most reviews on mass produced, affordable wines. I've had way too many disappointments and now leave bottles in that price range to recommendations from friends and trusted retailers.

True, but I am sure that most of us have experienced disappointments with highly rated, expensive low production wines as well. Although skeptical, I certainly feel better about taking my chances with a $20 (what I paid) cab than a $175 one.

FWIW, at least HS tasted the wine blind, leveling the playing field. I think that he shows some guts posting that score. You have to ask youself if you think your palate aligns with his. Some of the time mine does. Other times not not so much. 95 points? I will find out soon enough.
quote:
I find it difficult to swallow most reviews on mass produced, affordable wines. I've had way too many disappointments and now leave bottles in that price range to recommendations from friends and trusted retailers.

Seems as thought the 2007 Segehsio Zinfandel (#10 WS top 100) is an exception than? 68,000 cases
quote:
Red guy in a blue state, good point.

Miles of Lief
Actually, I was really disappointed by the 2007 Segehsio Zinfandel. Maybe it was because it was near the end of a large lineup of bottles but it really fell flat.

Sorry for going off topic a bit but my first impression of the 07 Seghesio Zinfandel was not positive but once it decanted overnight it was vastly better and very worthy of the #10 spot WS gave it. It definitely needs air and time in the decanter if you want to drink it now and time in the cellar (2 years maybe) if you want to drink it out of bottle and really get the most out of it.

Add Reply

Likes (0)