I like to revisit Bordeaux 10 years after vintage to see how the wines are progressing. 2005 was a highly acclaimed vintage and one that I stocked up on. Over the years I have tried over 100 wines from the 2005 Bordeaux vintage but not too many recently. This year I will be opening some throughout the year. To start this off, a friend invited us to his house for dinner and opened the 3 right bank wines below. Later in the year I'm sure we will put together a tasting of left bank wines.

2005 has been a consistently fine vintage across the board. These wines were approachable and showed surprisingly good balance at 10 years old. The fruit was solid and clean. Secondary nuances were not very prevalent yet. The hype surrounding this vintage seems to be well founded. Please feel free to add your notes or thoughts on 2005 bordeaux to this thread. Here are my notes from last weekend (and a couple older ones):

2005 Château Fleur Cardinale - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/14/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Mildly sedimented. Cloudy deep red color. Similar notes as the last time I had it 3 months ago. More earthy than fruity with charcoal, cassis and tar notes. Round structure. Dry, lipsmacking finish. 92 points.

2005 Château Quinault L'Enclos - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/14/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Mildly sedimented. Crimson color. Round texture. Notes of currants, wet earth and red berries. Smooth tannins for being only 10 years old. This seemed to be the most integrated and approachable of the 2005's opened. Just as good or perhaps better than the 2000. 93 points

2005 Château Canon-la-Gaffelière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/14/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Mildly sedimented. Haven't had this since it's release. Deep red color. Perfume and floral nose. Earthy style with some vanilla bean, asphalt and red currants. Medium bodied. My favorite of the 3 2005's opened. One of the best Canon's I have ever had and still growing. 94-95 points.

And a couple from about 8 months ago:

2005 Château Malescot St. Exupéry - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (6/28/2014)
This was the first bottle from my case I've opened. Decanted 9 hours. This 3rd growth is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Tight when first opened but the decanting really helped. Firm tannins. Charcoal, plum, mineral and currant notes. Earthy and rich finish. Shocked at how well this was drinking. 96+ points.

2005 Château Plaisance (Bordeaux Supérieur) - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (6/27/2014)
Ruby color. Notes of cherry, plum and smoke. Show well for a lesser property. 88 points

VM
Original Post
Good to see a 10 year retro started. I'll try to add as the year progresses. Thanks VM.

From last week:
2005 Château Malmaison Baronne Nadine de Rothschild
I liked how this was drinking. Good balance with decent fruit and acidity, refined tannins, and progressing well. Gives me hope for the other varied lazy sleeping '05's in the cellar.
Lat month:
2005 Château Monbousquet
Still a power-house. This is a masculine wine with charcoal and graphite in the foreground, sage and herbs in the background, and warm compote, black fruit lurking on the sides of the stage. Going back to a wonderful nose now before another sip. It's rock not earth here, hardened, fortified, dense with a dry finish. So much time remains- no need to rush. I am glad there are more left to observe evolution.

From 2 months ago:
2005 Reignac
Drank over 2 hours. Good example of Bordeaux Superior from a stellar vintage. Blend of 75/25 Merlot/Cab. Really nice nose- inviting with promise. So dark. Charcoal, slate, tar & some dark fruit carry into mouth and hold wine in balance. Fruit a bit more pronounced over time. Fades a bit on mid-palate (which is where the olfactory promise is slightly broken) but with plenty of dry gripping tannins that linger into satisfying though slightly bitter finish. Fully matured IMO, but what do I really know anyway. Drink now and for another 3-5. 2015 probably a good time to have a retrospective on non-trophy 2005 Bordeaux (or trophy too if you are a champion).

2005 Château Lascombes
2-3 hour decant. Expressive showing Margaux on nose and palate. More barn yard funk than I expected and than I remember from prior bottles, but it blows off with time. Integrated fine tannins and some astringency. Layers reveal themselves on the journey. Delicious now but loads of time left as would be expected. Decant recommended.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:

2005 Reignac
Drank over 2 hours. Good example of Bordeaux Superior from a stellar vintage. Blend of 75/25 Merlot/Cab. Really nice nose- inviting with promise. So dark. Charcoal, slate, tar & some dark fruit carry into mouth and hold wine in balance. Fruit a bit more pronounced over time. Fades a bit on mid-palate (which is where the olfactory promise is slightly broken) but with plenty of dry gripping tannins that linger into satisfying though slightly bitter finish. Fully matured IMO, but what do I really know anyway. Drink now and for another 3-5. 2015 probably a good time to have a retrospective on non-trophy 2005 Bordeaux (or trophy too if you are a champion).

I bought several of these a while back (3-5 years) and thought there were a terrific buy at $15 USD. Shows the potential of lower end Bordeaux in great vintages.

I've plowed through much of my lower end 2005 Bordeaux (hard to resist) and all good: Ch Clarke, Ch Fleur de Barbeyron, Ch D'Agassac. The Clarke has been consistently good, the Barbeyron exceeded expectations. The D'Agassac seemed closed for a while, but the last bottle in 2014 seems to be coming around and showing promise.

Still waiting to open the better 2005s.
My only regret thus far with '05 is that I started drinking them too soon. However, it was an education and enjoyable nonetheless, and there are still plenty in the cellar. Now, with some knowledge in my pocket, I will be able to practice patience and allow time to be my trusty assistant.
quote:
2005 Château Lascombes
2-3 hour decant. Expressive showing Margaux on nose and palate. More barn yard funk than I expected and than I remember from prior bottles, but it blows off with time. Integrated fine tannins and some astringency. Layers reveal themselves on the journey. Delicious now but loads of time left as would be expected. Decant recommended.

Haven't opened any of mine yet. I did try it on release at the UGC and thought it was impressive.

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
2005 Château Lascombes

Haven't opened any of mine yet. I did try it on release at the UGC and thought it was impressive.
VM

No rush.
2005 Chateau Puygueraud (Cotes de Francs)
Controversial cheapie that I bought around ten of. Have not had in a while. Upon popping, nose is pure anise. In the past, this wine drank best with three hours of air time. It has been open for 90 minutes. Color is still deep purple but now with some bricking on the edge. Initial anise bouquet has been replaced by tea and strangely enough, saffron.
Alcohol has always been noticeable in this wine and still is. Regardless, its youthful fruit is starting to fade just a bit and the earth and tea notes streak through luscious plum and anise. A great wine for the price. 91 points tonight.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Primordialsoup:

I've plowed through much of my lower end 2005 Bordeaux (hard to resist) and all good: Ch Clarke, Ch Fleur de Barbeyron, Ch D'Agassac. The Clarke has been consistently good, the Barbeyron exceeded expectations. The D'Agassac seemed closed for a while, but the last bottle in 2014 seems to be coming around and showing promise.

Still waiting to open the better 2005s.

I had three 2005 D'Agassac and drank the last one in 2011 after the first two seemed horribly dead in the bottle (tannic, highly acidic, woody and no fruit). Maybe I just had flawed bottles, but I did not believe they would ever be good. Glad you were able to be more patient than I was. : Razz
Thanks for this thread. Glad to know the 2005 hype seems well-deserved. It was the last Bordeaux vintage that I bought, due to my advancing age, and I only bought a few of them, due to the sharp price increase after 2004. Now, of course, the 2005 release prices seem like bargains compared to all the "vintages-of-a-lifetime" that have followed: 2009, 2010, etc...

It will be at least another decade before I consider opening the first of my 2005s, with the possible exception of one $10 bottle from Trader Joe's.
Opened a few lesser 2005 bordeaux over the weekend during a dinner with family. For the most part they were holding up well and were all ready to drink. I put them in the order I liked them. There were some very good value lesser bordeaux in 2005 which were not too hard to find. Here are my notes:

2005 Château Caronne Ste. Gemme - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (3/1/2015)
Bought this at Costco on release for $14. This estate is located just South of St. Julien. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. Blackish red color. Not decanted. My first bottle. Grapey fruit with garrigue, cedar and tobacco notes. Smooth tannins which were approachable. Silky texture. The most complete of the 3 lesser 2005 bordeaux we opened. 90 points

2005 Château de Parenchère Cuvée Raphaël - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (3/1/2015)
This estate owns 160 hectares with 63 under vine. It is located on the Eastern end of the Bordeaux region. Cuvée Raphaël is this estates top wine made from the oldest and best vines. Average age of these low yielding vines is 40 years. The cepage is 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. A $12 purchase. Garnet color. Not decanted. Earthy with a smooth texture. Black cherry notes with raw meat and leather. Drinking well. My last bottle. 89 points

2005 Château Mille-Roses - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (3/1/2015)
From a 375ml. I bought a couple of the last year on sale for $5. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot from a 25-30 year old 12.4 acre vineyard. This estate is just outside the Margaux appellation near Chateau Giscours. Crimson color. Dusty fruit with currant and some tar. Integrated tannins. Not very complex. Drink now. 86 points.

VM
2005 Château Petit Bocq
1hr+ decant in glass. Expressive inviting nose giving off more than I expected with a loamy, earthy, even peppery Bordeaux signature. Easy warm entry to palate with well integrated tannins. Moves to charcoal then dark fruit with slight bitterness on mid-palate. Chewy going in to nice lengthy finish. A good example of the vintage and what you can get without spending too much. A fine QPR. This one is drinking nicely now. Wish I had bought more.
So far from 2005 Bordeaux, all 750ml bottles: Pavie twice; Pavie-Macquin twice; Pavie-Decesse; Margaux; Faugeres three times; Leoville La Cases; Trotanoy; Troplong Mondot; Bellevue Mondotte; L'Evangile. All were great but the Margaux and the Pavie-Macquin were the best. No defect bottles either. Will leave alone for a long time the Ausone, L'Eglise Clinet case, Angelus and remaining bottles from the above listed.
For sure a great year in Bordeaux!
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
So far from 2005 Bordeaux, all 750ml bottles: Pavie twice; Pavie-Macquin twice; Pavie-Decesse; Margaux; Faugeres three times; Leoville La Cases; Trotanoy; Troplong Mondot; Bellevue Mondotte; L'Evangile. All were great but the Margaux and the Pavie-Macquin were the best. No defect bottles either. Will leave alone for a long time the Ausone, L'Eglise Clinet case, Angelus and remaining bottles from the above listed.
For sure a great year in Bordeaux!

Is the LLC even approachable now? If have a few cases I thought about trying a bottle soon. TIA
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:

Is the LLC even approachable now? If have a few cases I thought about trying a bottle soon. TIA

This wine needs at least 3 to 5 years of tannin softening but it was enjoyed with a full evening of decanting and further patience once poured in the glass.

My remaining bottle will wait until the 2020's for maximum benefit.
I just opened a bottle of 2005 Boyd-Cantenac. It is a nice bottle and approachable right now, although clearly early in its drinking window. If anyone has multiple bottles, it is definitely worth a taste.
Good color, fairly expressive nose and palate of lean cassis and brambles, earth, and a deft touch of vanilla oak. The tannins are silky, and there's good length. 91-92 for me.
This weekend:

2005 Bordeaux d'Estournel
Tart and thin after popping. Improved a bit on 3rd day, but not enough to enjoy as is so it went into the braised short rib stew.
2005 Clos Les Lunelles
Improved over time (4 hours total & with the stew). Showing blackberries later on. A tannic grippy one to be sure.
The bigger boys still to come.
Visited a friend over the weekend for dinner and we opened 5 2005 Bordeaux. All impressive wines and all in need of more bottle aging (some more than others). My notes:

2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/21/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. I loved this wine on release and it excellent again although I liked it slightly better before it closed down. Dark garnet and slightly cloudy. A little funk on the nose at first. Earthy texture with notes of roses, tar and leather. Dry finish. Full bodied. Might need the most time of any of the 5 bordeaux we opened. 94+ points but drinking a few points less than that now.

2005 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (3/21/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. My favorite of the 5 bordeaux. Good amount of sediment. Blackish red color with a ruby rim. Last had this on release and loved it then. Wonderful nose filled with mint and woody aromas. Notes of smoke, pipe tobacco and red currant. The tannins were still tight but this was very tasty and showed great potential. My experience with this estate is relatively recent having only had the 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2010 and this wine. However, this bottle and the 2009 stand out among that crowd. 94+ points.

2005 Château Kirwan - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/21/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Deep purple color. Another wine which I had on release about 7 years ago and this bottle was showing even better. Aromas of brie and creamy red fruit. Not as spicy as when I last had it. Notes of cherries, graphite and . Silky texture with tannins that were more approachable than the other 2005 Bordeaux we opened. The best Kirwan I have tried (1983, 2003, 2009 and 2010). Still needs time though. 93-94 points

2005 Château Clerc Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/21/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Last had this on release and it has grown since then. Crimson color. Floral nose. This was restrained. Notes of licorice, pencil lead and red berries. The tannins have quite a bit of grip. Medium bodied. Hold. Of the recent Clerc releases from top vintages, I liked the 2003, 2009 and 2010 vintages better. 92+ points

2005 Château Duhart-Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/21/2015)
Decanted for 4 hours. Heavily sedimented. First time I have had this. Purple red color. Sweet nose of clotted cream. Medium bodied with notes of smoked meat and tobacco leaf. Not a lot of fruit showing now. Needs time. Showed better later in the evening. One of the better Duharts I have had which include the 1970, 1978, 1988, 1990 and 2003. 91-92+ points.

VM
2005 Chateau Rol Valentin -- Decanted for an hour and enjoyed over the next 3. Dark, still rather tight and brooding. A lot of power. Medium dark fruits, noticeable oak, youngish tannins. This is drinkable now, but there's plenty of evolution and a long future ahead. 94+. Try next bottle in 2020.
2005 Chateau La Lagune Haut Medoc La Lagune has been one of my favorites, and this only helps solidify that sentiment. It is approachable now, yet there will be plenty of evolution ahead of it. Very elegant with understated power, nice structure and length. If you have multiples, it would be enjoyable to open one now. Since I only have one left, I will try to hold my last until 2025, if I can resist. Really wish I had more. 94-95
2005 Château Caronne Ste. Gemme
Still plugging through my smaller Châteaux before honing in on the bigger boys for this retrospective. Nothing special but nothing bad at all. A good representation of the Medoc and drinking well overall. A 2hr decant helped. Good warm fruit with a hint of grapeness but a brambley mid-palate and finish that holds on for half a minute or so.
The theme in our Sunday group this past weekend featured four second labels from the 2003 and 2005 vintages. Here were the 2005s:

2005 La Dame de Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (4/12/2015)
Second Sunday Group: 2003 vs 2005 Bordeaux 2nd Labels (R&D's): Garnet core with some bricking. Notes of tobacco, plum, currants and florals. Tobacco, berry and cigar box qualities on the palate. Briefly displays a vegetal/bretty quality which then fades leaving tobacco and dark fruit notes. Strong finish with good balance; plenty of dark fruit and spice.

My #3, Domino's #4
Group #4, 55 pts (91 pts.)

2005 Les Forts de Latour - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/12/2015)
Second Sunday Group: 2003 vs 2005 Bordeaux 2nd Labels (R&D's): Deep garnet core with some bricking at the meniscus. Notes of tobacco and red fruit with a very pretty perfumed, floral overtone. Flavors of red and dark fruit, well-balanced across the palate with a good finish. Shuts down a bit in the glass though, becoming more simple and reticent displaying a melange of red and black fruits on the nose and palate.

My #4, Domino's #2
Group #3, 47 pts (90 pts.)

2005 Les Pagodes de Cos - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (4/12/2015)
Second Sunday Group: 2003 vs 2005 Bordeaux 2nd Labels (R&D's): Garnet with some bricking. Aromas of coffee/mocha, sandalwood and red berry. Somewhat tannic with pronounced acidity- comes off as slightly disjointed. Shut down a bit in the glass aromatically, but the palate improved as the fruit came forward along with spice and herb notes and the acidity softened. My guess is that this is better than it showed today. Give this a couple of years yet.

My #5, Domino's #7
Group #8, 70 pts (88 pts.)

2005 Château Bahans Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/12/2015)
Second Sunday Group: 2003 vs 2005 Bordeaux 2nd Labels (R&D's): Garnet with a bit of bricking. The first wine tonight that has a candied red fruit quality. Notes of boysenberry and candied red raspberry, followed by pepper and spice notes. Medium-bodied and a touch acidic, with flavors of red fruit and oak spices. Becomes less candied and forward as it sits, adding a nice tobacco overtone. Flavors of clay and red fruit.

My #8, Domino's #8
Group #6, 62 pts (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Add Reply

Likes (0)