Skip to main content

I know this subject pops up every now and then, but I'm curious about what you guys think. I bought my daughter (born in 2003) a case of 03 Leoville Barton. Now my son (born in 2005) needs something to grow dusty in the cellar.

I got the Leoville Barton at $45/bottle - probably the best investment currently in my portfolio (stocks included).

Any ideas for similar quality for my little boy? I'm thinking about the 2005 ROL VALENTIN (ST. EMILION) because it has gotten good scores and should last two decades at around $50/bottle. CH. KIRWAN also looks good.

Anything else come to mind?

For purposes of this post only, please ignore my signature.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Does he like Right Banks? Actually, my first son was born in 2005, so we bought futures of Certan de May, Trotanoy, and Troplong-Mondot. I feel pretty good that all three will increase, with the latter two probably increasing the most. Part of the reason we chose these is that my wife and I like Pomerols, and we figure we could drink some of these with him or by ourselves someday if we need to pop a bottle for his 16th birthday or something.

tom
quote:
Originally posted by ChillyWino:
quote:
Originally posted by Golf&Pinot Nut:
How about BELLEVUE ST. EMILION 2005 FUTURE

Great scores from WS and WA, but definately pricey, so it depends on what you want to spend. I have a spreadsheet with a pile of data if you want it. 2005 was our wedding year so I did a little bit of research.

Shoot it to me:

g o l f z i n n u t @ y a h o o . c o m

Withoutthespacesofcourse.
G&P Nut. Screw Bordeaux. Go buy some '05 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, such as Vieux Telegraphe, Pegau, Vieux Donjon, Beaucastel, etc... You'll get more bang for the buck, they'll age for two decades, which you will actually be able to drink during that period, and you won't be complicit in the underhanded, hide the weenie, sales tactics of the Bordelais. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by napacat:
I bought Rauzan Segla for my child born in 2005. Since this wine is not one for instant gratification, it has not achieved sky high Parker ratings (90-93), so the price has remained moderate.

I bought Rausan Segla in 1993 & 1994 because Chanel had just bought the Chateau and I thought they would be making some great wines. Unfortunately, those wines tasted more like cheap perfume, and I'm still waiting for some improvement. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Golf&Pinot Nut:
I bought my daughter (born in 2003) a case of 03 Leoville Barton. Now my son (born in 2005) needs something to grow dusty in the cellar.

I got the Leoville Barton at $45/bottle - probably the best investment currently in my portfolio (stocks included).

Any ideas for similar quality for my little boy?

Anything else come to mind?

Golf&Pinot Nut------
You have little choice! Both were excellent vintages, so splurge and make it 2005 Leoville Barton! Both of these 2nd Growth wines are rated 95 points, and neither one of your children will remember that you paid more for the 2005 than the 2003, but they will know you selected and gave them the same very special gift!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
G&P Nut. Screw Bordeaux. Go buy some '05 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, such as Vieux Telegraphe, Pegau, Vieux Donjon, Beaucastel, etc... You'll get more bang for the buck, they'll age for two decades, which you will actually be able to drink during that period, and you won't be complicit in the underhanded, hide the weenie, sales tactics of the Bordelais. Smile

What's wrong with hide the weenie? That's the game that's responsible for the birth of my daughter!

I bought a few cases of 05. The notables include Barton, Sociando Mallet, Malescot, Du Tertre. Haut Bergey, and Gazin. I also bought a few "petites Chateaux". Of those the only ones still available at the original pricing are Sociando and Du Tertre, both of which got mixed reviews.

If I had no 05s, and a kid who was born that year I'd probably buy a case of Barton if I could get it for $100. Barring that, Poyferre is probably another good choice. Haut Bergey may still be available at a reasonable price (I paid $27 each), and from advanced scouting this may be a very good wine and an excellent value.
I had the 03 Rol Valentin at a tasting, and I thought it was a great wine. If the 03 is anything like the 05, I say buy.

My suggestion: if you are going to buy a case of wine for each child, I would start opening the wines when they hit 16 so that you don't miss the peak by accident. Then you could pop one every other year. Or, do you plan on giving them the cases when they are legal?
I believe that giving children alcohol is a criminal offence.

As is creating stupid posts.

Come arrest me now, I am waiting.

For my money, I would put money into 2005 red burg, almost definitely Cotes du Nuits wines. For ageability, stick with prems from Vosne, Gevrey and Chambolles or pick up Grand Crus from Clos de Beze, Clos de la Roche or Vougeout (or other exotic nearby places such as Echezeaux). You will not be sorry.

I only wish I had been born in 2005 but then again, I wouldn't be posting here right now.

Thank me in 20 years.

BirD
quote:
I know this subject pops up every now and then, but I'm curious about what you guys think. I bought my daughter (born in 2003) a case of 03 Leoville Barton.

I would wait until your kids are a little older. Pouring a case of wine (even a wine as good as the Leoville Barton) down a child's throat may cause some health problems. I just hope it wasnt all in one day.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.