• 2004 Shafer Merlot - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/20/2008)
    Decanted for 30 minutes. Medium-dark purple in the glass. This bottle showed exceptionally well. A beautiful nose of ripe blackberries, blueberries, violets, cassis, and a hint of olive. Well-structured; light, delicious fruit on the palate with plenty of acidity. A firm, tannic grip leading to a medium-long finish. Absolutely delicious. A great example of well-made Merlot. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
  • 2004 Shafer Merlot - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/20/2008)
    Decanted for 30 minutes. Medium-dark purple in the glass. This bottle showed exceptionally well. A beautiful nose of ripe blackberries, blueberries, violets, cassis, and a hint of olive. Well-structured; light, delicious fruit on the palate with plenty of acidity. A firm, tannic grip leading to a medium-long finish. Absolutely delicious. A great example of well-made Merlot. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds really good. Is this at the DABC, or have you been hanging on to it for awhile?
quote:
Originally posted by Roentgen Ray:
Sounds really good. Is this at the DABC, or have you been hanging on to it for awhile?

RR-

I have been holding this bottle for over one year. I don't believe the 2004 is available any longer; the 2005 is on the shelves now.
The 2004 Shafer Merlot was a pleasant surprise! A gorgeous jammy nose, with a vibrant youthful deep purple color, but not opaque or thick, still, this bottle was singing. A nice blackberry taste that was lush and fruity, and everything seemed to be in balance, but the finish was just a little short. A WA 88 pointer, a WS 92 pointer; I think the WS rating is correct!

Also, I think this is a wine to be opened within the next 3 years. Although still youthful at present, I think this wine will start to fade sooner, than later.
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
The 2004 Shafer Merlot was a pleasant surprise! A gorgeous jammy nose, with a vibrant youthful deep purple color, but not opaque or thick, still this bottle was singing. A nice blackberry taste that was lush and fruity, and everything seemed to be in balance, but the finish was just a little short. A WA 88 pointer, a WS 92 pointer; I think the WS rating is correct!

Also, I think this is a wine to be opened within the next 3 years. Although still youthful at present, I think this wine will start to fade sooner, than later.

I'm glad to see it showed well for you. Your note sounds very similar to mine, though the finish was a bit better with the bottle I had. I thought the color was gorgeous. It was a pleasant surprise to me as well, exceeding expectations. I wish that I had a couple more bottles. Frown
quote:
gigabit,

I think I still have 3 bottles of the 2004 Shafer Merlot, which I'll open over the next 3 years. (I looking forward to going to that new wines store in SLC) Where are you located in Utah?

I am in the Salt Lake valley.

I'm not overly impressed with the new store. The location is lousy (300 West) and the staff is very young. They even have a skylight right over one section of the store. Eek For me, the Metro store is still the best; best selection, best staff, and best provenance.

Let me know when you come to town. I'd love to get together for some food and wine. Smile
quote:
gigabit,

I thought we might be in Utah later this month, but I may have missed the window, and it'll have to be 2010! Confused

Latour, there is a state called TEXAS, a rather large state ( less Alaska) all things considered. When oh when are you coming our way? Razz Wink

Add Reply

Likes (0)