• 2004 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (6/6/2009)
    Very much in line with the previous notes. This time I had the opportunity to see it evolve over 2 days time. On the second day the aromas get this etheral quality to it that is just magic. The aromas are continuously evolving and the tannins are superbly smooth on the palate.
    This one definitely deserves a notch up. Its the best Brunello of the vintage '04 that I tasted to date. (96 pts.)

• 2004 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/16/2009)
    Montalcino trip / Italian offline 2009; 14-5-2009-16-5-2009 (Montalcino): Drinking at Giardino / popped and poured.
    Typical 'Brunello' light ruby. Impressive aromas of black fruit and berries, hints of leather and mint evolving in the glass. Following trough full bodied, balanced and fresh with layered silky tannins (the term dusty tannins was used by LB while drinking this, have to remember that term!). Long and fresh finish. This bottle was completely in line with the one we tasted a day before. Lots of structure to age, but SO seductive now! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
I do double that distance just because of that Big Grin

Anyway, I don't expect that a lot of the '04 will be exported. Its the first vintage of Brunello they release. And they have a very small production. But I think it should be possible to have them shipped from one of the Enoteca in Montalcino. I know that Osteria Osticcio and Enoteca Bruno Dalmazio carry this wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
I do double that distance just because of that Big Grin

Anyway, I don't expect that a lot of the '04 will be exported. Its the first vintage of Brunello they release. And they have a very small production. But I think it should be possible to have them shipped from one of the Enoteca in Montalcino. I know that Osteria Osticcio and Enoteca Bruno Dalmazio carry this wine.

Thanks Jochems. I'll see what I can arrange...
A really fantastic first brunello vintage for this estate. The key to this wine is that it is accessible now but does have structure to age. Only time will tell if it can live for 15-20 years. I feel fortunate to have picked up a six pack of this wine. Albert and I shared 2 great bottles while in Montalcino for the 5th Annual Italian Off-line (European version).
I only took home 3 bottles. Because I was unfamiliar with this winery. But I will definetly try to pick up a few more when I'm back in Montalcino in 4 weeks time.

I guess there will not much left after this, considering the small production quantities Big Grin
Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Mea Culpa.

I never meant to make this exclusive or 'hype' something, to the contrary.
This producer makes about 16.000 bottles a year. That should be enough for all Italophiles on this forum to get seriously drunk for most of the year Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
That should be enough for all Italophiles on this forum to get seriously laid for most of the year Smile

You've gotten quite a handle of the English Language, Albert. Big Grin

Sincerely, all your information regarding this one has been very appreciated.... and fun.
Checked on the '04 Querce Bettina today with the owners (Roberto and Sandra) in Montalcino. Tasted along with the 2005 BdM, the 2006 BdM, 2006 RdM and the 2007 RdM. Will post separate notes on the other wines.

First, let me say that Roberto and Sandra are great hosts. I spent approx. 2 hours with Roberto (even left my glasses and he delivered them to my hotel). He is passionate about his wines and explained the differences between the vintages of his brunello. As a side note, if the weather holds for a couple more weeks, 2010 should be another great vintage.

A little history of the estate. Roberto and Sandra purchased the property (30 Hectares or approx. 66 acres) in 1990. The land was very wild and it took several years to get the land ready for a vineyard. The first vines were planted in 1999. There are 3 distinct vineyards with very good exposures. They produced 2,800 bottles of brunello in 2004 and are now up to 6,000 bottles. There will be a Riserva in 2006. They also produce 9,000 bottles of rosso. Currently, they do not have an importer into the US market.

The 2004 continues to impress me. The wine was accessible upon release and continues to be the star of the vintage in my opinion. The only wine that comes close to the quality of this wine is the Fuligni Riserva. The acidity of the wine makes me think that it will continue to age well. Over 6 grams/liter of acidity is very unusual and gives this wine a freshness that is lacking in so many of the '04's. The nose is so captivating. The wine is very traditionally made. Roberto explained to me that he looks at acidity (terrior produces wines of high acidity that decline as the sugars increase), pH, and sugars. He does not want the acidity to drop below 7 grams/liter before the phenolic ripening of the grapes. He finds that a potential alcohol of 13-13.5% is optimal for his vineyards.

I continue to absolutely love this wine. Some US importer would be very astute to grab on to this label. Today confirmed that this estate is not a one vintage wonder. They are going to be producing great wine for many years to come.
95 points.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I'll be interested in your assessment of the '05 and '06 BdM's. I tasted the '05 last June and thought it was significantly more austere with less fruity than the 04.

OTW - It is very interesting to hear you say that the '05 is less fruity. When I tasted it on Thursday, I found the tart fruit to be the first thing that jumped out at me. Roberto did say that when the wine was released that it was somewhat "austere" and had opened up substantially with additional time in the bottle. He used the same word as you. Also, the bottle that I tasted had been open for over 24 hours. This most likely made a big difference.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I'll be interested in your assessment of the '05 and '06 BdM's. I tasted the '05 last June and thought it was significantly more austere with less fruity than the 04.

OTW - It is very interesting to hear you say that the '05 is less fruity. When I tasted it on Thursday, I found the tart fruit to be the first thing that jumped out at me. Roberto did say that when the wine was released that it was somewhat "austere" and had opened up substantially with additional time in the bottle. He used the same word as you. Also, the bottle that I tasted had been open for over 24 hours. This most likely made a big difference.

Perhaps I misstated when I said 'less' fruity. It might have been more accurate to say I found it tough/firm, which ties in with the acidity and makes it seem austere.

I was particularly interested in your reactions to the 2006.

No note on this wine since 2010? Opened one last night. After an hour this wine was singing. Violets and spice on the nose. Silky smooth, great balance and a wonderful finish of plum and cherry. 93 or 94 points for me. No rush to drink, but I'm not sure it can improve from this.

steve8 posted:

No note on this wine since 2010? Opened one last night. After an hour this wine was singing. Violets and spice on the nose. Silky smooth, great balance and a wonderful finish of plum and cherry. 93 or 94 points for me. No rush to drink, but I'm not sure it can improve from this.

Steve8, I opened one recently and it was just as I remembered. My question early on regarding ageworthiness has been answered. I don’t know about improving but I don’t see any evidence of decline in the foreseeable future. Still 95 points for me. 

I woke up this morning getting a notification on this forum discussion in my inbox. It immediately send me on a trip down memory lane. And some sweet memories they are!

I haven't found the time to spend on this forum for many years now. Luckily I did have the opportunity to taste some of the delicious '04 Brunelo from Querce Bettina. I've tried to keep up with posting my tasting notes over at Cellartracker. There you can find some recent encounters with this wine. When checking I found out that one of the most memorable recent tastings of this wine isn't there: In summer 2017 we met with Roberto and Sandra (who have become good friends of us in the meantime) for a dinner where 'nose' from this forum was also present. I had brought one of my '04 bottles all the way from the Netherlands because Roberto had run out of it. An I wanted to celebrate the special encounter with this wine and himself so many years ago. It was a beautiful showing of the wine, fully in line with earlier tastings.

For me it as well is still a firm 95pt wine and I think it will at least have another 10 more years to go. Although I'm not entirely impartial anymore since I've become good friends with Roberto, there could be some positive bias in my tasting notes

I'm missing you guys while writing this.... Any chance we could organise a Montalcino offline one more time? I'd be happy to organise everything locally! 

Do you know if anyone reported the cork issue back to Roberto?  I have every BdM vintage except '05 and '08 (including both the '07 normale and Riserva) and have '10-'15 RdM as well. I have not experienced any issues with corks (in fact I haven't had one single TCA issue either). I think you have better access to the wines in Canada than I do in the US.  Most of my bottles have come directly from the winery.

Add Reply

Likes (0)