2004 Match Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Butterdragon Hill - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (7/26/2008)
WIML92,PURPLE92

Tasted July 26, 2008.

Consistent with previous bottle although fairly opened for business this time around. Opened and served immediately. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of plums, black berries and black cherries. Maybe some cocoa or dark chocolate aromas as well. Flavors of black cherries, plums black berries and a little currant on the medium to long finish. Medium acidity, moderate tannins, full bodied. Drink or hold. I have two remaining bottles that I'll consume in 2010 and 2012. (92 pts.)
Original Post
17/04/2010 rated 93 points: Last one of these............but shortly 6 more should be arriving. Thank god for that. This wine is delicious and every time I open one, they get better and better. Nice nose of dark delicious fruits. The palate is singing with black fruit, balanced acidity, and exceptional goodness. The tannins are integrated, yet in the background. This wine has an excellent vanilla fruit induced finish. This is Great Juice!
Bought on recommendation from the local shop. Sent it through the Vinturi and then started drinking. Big nose of fruits and oak right after opening. Think I'm going to like this. Lots of dark fruit and some cocoa flavors. Oak is definitely there but complimentary to all the other flavors. This wine has a wonderful velvet texture and a nice lingering finish. Bravo.

There was a small glass left that I tried after 3 days. Still Happening. I will be picking up more of this.
quote:
Originally posted by Cellar_Fiend:
12/06/2010 rated 92 points: Easy 92+ points on this bad boy. Delicious ripe fruits, a definite herbal component. Amazing finish. I love this wine and Match Vineyards. (17 views)

Cellar_Friend

For clarifications sake, you tasted the 2004 Butterdragon, June 12, 2010, and you are correct, I too, love this wine! It is an easy drinker of a smooth and unctuous elixir. What a joy? I might add, however, I do not get anything like an herbal component from the 2004 Match Butterdragon, but I (too) agree, I love this wine! My 93/94
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
quote:
Originally posted by Cellar_Fiend:
12/06/2010 rated 92 points: Easy 92+ points on this bad boy. Delicious ripe fruits, a definite herbal component. Amazing finish. I love this wine and Match Vineyards. (17 views)

Cellar_Friend

For clarifications sake, you tasted the 2004 Butterdragon, June 12, 2010, and you are correct, I too, love this wine! It is an easy drinker of a smooth and unctuous elixir. What a joy? I might add, however, I do not get anything like an herbal component from the 2004 Match Butterdragon, but I (too) agree, I love this wine! My 93/94

We were split on nailing down the herb. I was almost leaning towards dill, while others were adamant it was not. So my note reflects "Herbal Component", I know this is a poor description but there is something going on here, that I did not detect in previous bottles and for whatever reason cannot nail down.
Recently had 2 more bottles of this. My plan was to slowly go through my 6 bottles and see how this evolves. Not really working out to plan.

Again, big nose of fruits, oak, velvet. Mmmmm...
Strong, dark fruits and mocha and there is some pleasent herbal component lurking around in there.

I tend to lower my scores on a wine that I've consumed many times but this one is different. Going to bump it +1 to 93. Fantastic wine. Bravo!
Red Guy, SD-Wineaux, and all SD people, killer deal alert, Hewitson Mad Hatter Shiraz at over 50% off at SDWC. Room or no room you deserve to know. I am gonna swing by next week. I bet they are all out of the Match though. I am like SD-Wineaux, I won't let no more room stand in my way. Wink Razz
I recently ordered more of the 2004 Match. Smile My last 2004 Match Butterdragon Hill had refined California fruit, lush and smooth, with a sweet finesse on the finish. I also, have the 2005, 2006, & 2007, Butterdragon Hill.

As for the Baconbrook, they need time, and I suggest you should cellar for 7-10 years. For all those who prefer Bordeaux, I think the Baconbrook would be a good choice.

Add Reply

Likes (0)