Skip to main content

'04 Flaccianello
From a cellared bottle. Decent but not superlative nose of rose garden and tomato plant leaves. Opaque plum color. Few notes of black cherries which are quickly overcome by roasted garlic, hefty oak and toast. Not well balanced. Not up to the high standards I hold Flaccinello to. Hard to say it will improve much, I am skeptical. C+.

Ardeis in Seminole
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have had both the 04 and 06 and found the 04 pretty darn good. Were both of your bottles from the same lot? As usual I agree with W+A in that tomato plant leaves would concern me with this wine.
  • 2004 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (3/28/2010)
    Medium ruby red color; Medium+ nose of cherry fruit and herbs. Its flavors included more cherry fruit, anise, herbs and a bit of pepper. Long but rather tannic finish. This wine was very complex but still needs a couple of years to integrate. Still tannic and acidic but truly the real deal. Briefly decanted with good results maybe try at least an hour?? L156 on the Italian back label. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
  • 2004 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (4/12/2013)
    Consumed in restaurant Pulcinella in Monaco, at a suprisingly low price of EUR 73. Popped and decanted for a brief while. This bottle seemed quite a bit better than the one I had last year.

Vivid ruby/red color with no signs of ambering yet. Expressive aromas of cherry, blackcurrant, and fresh red berries with some meat and hints of eucalyptus and cedar evolving in the glass. Following trough full bodied with silky layers of tannins, vibrant fruit and balanced acidity. The fininish follows seamlessly and keeps lingering for a long time.

This wine is drinking great right now, but still is quite young and seems to have the structure to develop for many more years to come. Drink now - 2024 (95 pts.)
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Wish I lived closer to Monaco.
IW

Well, I can assure you that life is generally very expensive there. I was totally surprised to find this wine at this price. They had a great wine list and some real steals like a '01 Altesino BdM Montosoli and a '00 Caprai Sagrantino 25 anni at the same price level.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.