Carignane, syrah, grenache noir, petite syrah, and mourvedre. Ruby red to the rim of the glass. Kind of a baby Cdp with nose of black fruits, coffee, and smoke. In the mouth was fairly soft and not overly tannic with black berry, cherry plum and oaky cedar flavor. Very enjoyable wine and should drink well over the next 4 to 5 years. 90 pts.
Original Post
I don't think they were sold. They had some hard times and had a bankruptcy workout. But as far as I knew they came out of it. I always liked their wines in the 90s too and in fact I bouth some 2001s as well. Nice people and nice producer and the prices aren't crazy. They made a lot of pretty good offbeat stuff - barbera, carignan, charbono, etc. Don't know if they still do.
Karen Mac Neil of wine bible fame and her husband Dennis Fife still make all the wines and I love them. I'm on their wine club list and get about two bottles sent to me every three months. They do alot of zin and rhone blends and a reserve spring mountain merlot and also a cabernet reserve offering. They send all kinds of info with the wines in a book called the scarlet letter when I recieve them. They really try to educate people about their vineyards and wines as far as terroir and winemaking methods.

Add Reply

Likes (0)