2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor

The Blind Drunks Monthly Tasting - Joe's (11/22/2009)

• 2004 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto
    Deep color. Opened with a sour citrus note, which dissipated fairly quickly. Following that were aromas of mocha, dark fruit, loam and plum. Nicely balanced, with flavors of plum, coffee, herbs and black fruit. There's a slightly sweet edge to the tannins. Long, balanced finish. 92-93 pts.

Decanted for an hour, allowed to breathe in bottle for another seven+ before the tasting.
  • Popped and poured the 2004 Don Melchor 3 nights ago. It was disjointed and angular, unbalanced, and really no nose to speak of. Each night since then it has improved. Finally tonight it is expressing some Cabernet characteristics on the nose along with some menthol and eucalyptus. Good concentration of fruit on the palate, with lively acidity and round tannins to balance, and a really pleasant chocolatey finish.

If you have this in your cellar, don't go near it for another few years!
    Opened an hour before having this with my regular blind tasting group.

Tasted like a blend of ripe year Bdx and an Old-World styled Napa Cab. Balance was fantastic. Flavors of tart cherry juice, a little moss and forest floor, rich plums, dark chocolate, nice tannins there. Not overdone, no stewed fruit quality, nothing cloying. Open for business, but can continue to hold.

This was my only bottle, and nothing told me it wasn't ready to go. 94pts. It won the tasting BTW. Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)