2004 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve

Bordeaux style blend from WA (54% Cab.Sav., 46% Merlot). Started drinking after a 30 minute decant. Aromas of sweet tannins, cocoa, and possibly cedar. Is this a right bank bordeaux? Flavors of kirsch, dark berries, cocoa. Fair amount of oaky tannins on nice drawn out finish but the fruity style complements (and can handle) this. I saved a glass for day 2 tasting. Not much change but a bit of cola flavor is now coming out. Still super-duper. Bought cases of this from K&L for $18USD/bottle, smart move. What a smokin' deal. 90-91 pts in my book.
Original Post
IB- Everytime I have had this wine it has been about 4 years after the vintage (mostly at retailer tastings). Never tried one with more age than that. Although one of the tastings was hosted by Doug Gore and I recall him saying that the Walter Clore will age (can't recall a recommended range though).

VM
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Vino Me/others,

How have you found these wines to age? Beyond say eight or ten years? I haven't tasted one with more than 4-5 years on it (which I found delicious).

They age very well in my experience. I've had several vintages (all tasty) and am down to my last bottle of a 1999. Had the last one (of 12) two years ago and it was still drinking well, if showing its age in an attractive way. I think many Washington Bordeaux blends age as well or better than their CA counterparts, especially dollar for dollar. I have Andrew Wills from '98 and '99 that are still full of fruit and ripe tannins. I should add though, that a '91 Togni blew everyone away in a blind tasting we had about six months ago. No one thought it could have been older than an '01 or '02.

Snag some '06 Ch.Ste.Michelle Canoe Ridge cab for under $22. I think both Jay and Harvey got it right. Tasty juice and bang for the buck.
Opened up another one on Saturday night. Decanted and then took a quick sip. Wow. I would guess BDX (hot vintage perhaps). Strong tannins and acidity.

Revisited after an hour and obviously back to the New World. I just love the cocoa aromas I get out of this. Still lots of oak though perhaps not as much as a previous bottle I've had. Solid 91pts and very enjoyable.
First wine of many... on New Year's Eve. This was a great showing. The aromas and flavors were wonderfully layered. Along with the berries and kirsch, the secondary olive and cocoa flavors were stunning. Some of the almost excessive oakiness of other bottles was not present this time. Up a couple of points, 93.
quote:
Is this a right bank bordeaux?

Racer - it's a nice enough wine in most vintages although it can be kind of woody, but it's never a right bank Bordeaux IMO. Too ripe, too soft, too woody, lacks the tannins and the grip that you get w Bordeaux. Far better than the cheap ones and not nearly as complex or long-lived as the best, always New World.

I've kept some for a few years to see what happens with the oak and at 10 years, with the 2000 for example, the oak seems to have become more prominent.
Wonderful. I recognize that this isn't for everyone but either way, the quality of this should be acknowledged. This bottle has an almost meaty savory first note to it and its soon followed with olive and spicy oak aromas. Similar flavors cross the tongue along with plum and black fruits. Complimentary (but borderline artificial) acidity dominates the long finish. 92pts.

Add Reply

Likes (0)