Skip to main content

Rather than add on to two existing themed tasting threads with multiple notes, I'll start a new one. I've had this twice in the past month so I'll post both. They're consistent in flavour profile and score, but different wrt the alcohol and the nose. Confused

November 5/06 with J3, Haggis and some Argentinian food. Bright red colour with a huge nose of raspberry. Silky mouthfeel, full bodied, lively acidity with pure red fruit flavours and a long finish. Modern style and the 15% alcohol isn't noticeable. 96 points.

December 2/06 with Mimik, Vinaigre and a few friends at La Forchetta. Slightly translucent, garnet coloured wine. Nose seems a little muted with some raspberry and clove aromas. Full bodied, well balanced with red berries and spice on a deliciously long sweet, slightly hot finish. 95 points.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just had the wine over the week-end. With all the good comments, I was expecting a lot, but was very disappointed!

The wine has all it takes to become good when it grows up, but for the moment it is hardly enjoyable. The alcohol was so present that I could not appreciate all the qualities of the wine. 88pts.

I enjoyed the 2003 much more.
quote:
Originally posted by markjahnke:
Nice to see. I have a mag of this that I wasn't planning on popping for a good 10 years. We'll see how it is then! -mJ

I would certainly recommend holding it. I had no intention of opening a wine like this over the weekend, but Saturday was just an awesome day. It was a perfect compliment to dinner and the overall mood.
While the 2004 CLos des Papes is a beauty, the problem(or advantage depending on your point of view) is that unlike the 2003 and 2005 CDPs, they(2004 cdps) drink well young, even though they will age effortlessly for the next 8-10 years. So far, I've preferred the 2004 Clos des Papes(having tasted it twice) to the 2003 and 2005. In the long run, though, the 2003 and 2005 may turn to be better.
My brother taught in Avignon at the university in the 1980's he found the 1986 Beaucastel for $10. Too bad he was too poor to buy more than a couple bottles. My brother tasted the 2005 Pegau reservee with the guy that imports it to St Louis and he thinks the 2007 Pegau will be the next vintage to buy. Hopefully it won't be more than $70 which is a crap shoot anyway, considering it won't be blended for another year.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
My brother taught in Avignon at the university in the 1980's he found the 1986 Beaucastel for $10. Too bad he was too poor to buy more than a couple bottles. My brother tasted the 2005 Pegau reservee with the guy that imports it to St Louis and he thinks the 2007 Pegau will be the next vintage to buy. Hopefully it won't be more than $70 which is a crap shoot anyway, considering it won't be blended for another year.

What year did your brother teach ?
I would say $70 might get you a 375ml in 2007...
  • 2004 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/12/2009)
    Wine Guy Weekend Chez Doktas Take 3; 11/09/2009-13/09/2009 (Collingwood, Ontario): This had a really nice dark crimson colour with no hints of age. I had loved the red fruit component in this wine when I drank it a couple of years ago but now those flavours became kirsche flavours, garrigue and blackberry notes. The nose smelled young and pretty tight. So was the palate, not showing very much but you could tell there was a lot in there. Long finish and a little hot from the alcohol. 92+ (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
  • 2004 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/12/2009)
    Wino Guys Weekend (WGW) #3; 9/11/2009-9/12/2009: Tons of kirsch, framboise, and alcohol. Really not enjoying the super-ripe style. Almost candied in its fruit profile. I would really like to try a Clos des Papes with age to see if this comes into check and shows more classic notes with time. Right now, the overripe fruit and alcohol is not particularly appealing or enjoyable. NR.

Follow-up: A friend took the leftovers home (just corked up, not vacu-vinned) and two days later while still hot from the alcohol, it showed more classic notes that included garrigue and grilled meat and some of the kirsch notes fell to the back. Perhaps there's hope for this wine with additional cellaring!

I was curious after reading Futronic's description of this as a "hot mess" in another thread, and having 5 I decided to pop one. Decanted with aerator.

Right now this wine has no resemblance to the bottles I tasted previously and noted above. It's in a strange place and since I have 4 more, I hope it comes around. Fruit is muted and the alcohol is up front. It did start to open up a little by the last glass

Unless I read otherwise, I will not open another until 2018.
  • 2004 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/28/2016)
    Very nice. Best of my bottles. Opened about 90 minutes before drinking but did not decant. Had a fair amount of sediment. Rich red berry fruit, but not overly ripe. Some cigar box on the nose, a little bit of iodine, some scents of the ocean, and a bit of brambly earth. Well balanced with a long smooth finish.

I wanted a grenache dominant CdP to go with some blackened red snapper last night so I reached for my second last bottle of this one. Previous bottles have been inconsistent but this one was excellent. Definitely starting to show some age from secondary notes on the palate with raspberry, spice and cedar flavours. This bottle was not showing the heat on the finish of some other bottles I've had. Not the 96 WS rated it but a solid 92-93 for me and worked well with the spicy fish. I'll hold my last bottle for its 20th birthday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.