Skip to main content

• 2004 Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Vigna di Pianrosso - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/12/2010)
    Not decanted. Slow-ox'd for 8 hours. Medium-dark ruby colour; almost opaque. Brooding nose of sottobosco, frutti di bosco, sliced black plums, and wood. Full-bodied, with replays from nose. Displays great balance. Really solid 35-40s finish, with sliced black plum and sottobosco notes. This is a really nice wine that is just showing hints of what it will be with further cellaring. 92+ with significant upside. Drink 2015-2025. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Popped and poured - followed for 2 hours

Starting to show slight bricking on the rim otherwise bright colour

Nose is wonderful - currants, other red berries and a touch of roasted meats

Tannins are a tiny bit dry but sweet, overall there is a bit of sweetness here but also a freshness to the fruit that is delicious.

Overall I was quite impressed with this wine at this stage. I will hold off on other bottles for another year or two (at least).

Opened my first of two bottles on Saturday night to go with our pasta with beef ragu. Pulled the cork just prior to serving and there was a slight musty odour at first but it blew off pretty quickly leaving bright red fruit and floral notes with just a faint whiff of oak. On the palate, plum, red cherry and fig flavours with a nice long finish. This didn't seem like a 16 year old wine and each glass got better. Very silky mouthfeel. I'd give this 94 and I'll hold my other bottle until at least its 20th birthday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.