• 2004 Casanova di Neri Rosso di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (11/24/2007)
    Opened and poured. Deep Plum in color. Crisp dark berrie, earth and mushroom on the nose. Surprising complexity on the nose for a Rosso. The berry and plum fruit carry over to the palate with a medium complexity. Again, crisp in the mouth with a medium length finish. A nice wine to balance an acidic tomatoe base sauce. Nice. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
Excellent! I'll pick up some if I see it. I'm assuming about 20 bucks.

I don't think so, but have you tried the 2002? My sister had a bottle ready to open on Thanksgiving eve, and I did my best, "Hmmmm, why don't we try something else?" look. I'm afraid that she'll try it, and it'll turn her off to Italian wines forever, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Yup, about 20 bucks. I think it's the '05 on the shelves now. Not sure. I picked up six some time ago, as a potential cellar defender against the '01 BdM's for Italian foods. I was actually expecting this to be WAY young, but no.

I don't view a Rosso as a wine to lay down and age, but as an Italian food wine, this Casanova was one of the best Rosso I've had the pleasure of having.
I spent a week in Montalcino two weeks back and had both the '04 and '05. The '04 was very good, as you mentioned, the '05 was even better. Here are my notes...I have more than 80 tasting notes of Brunello and Rosso that I'll be putting up on my site in the next week, as well!

2004 Casanova di Neri Rosso di Montalcino
Very dark color. Nose of dark berries, earth, tobacco, licorice and a touch of dried herbs. Plum, dark berries, vanilla and slight smoke on the palate with soft tannins and a soft, but lasting finish. Quite good. 88 pts.

2005 Casanova di Neri Rosso di Montalcino
Dark plum color with mineral and earth notes as well as a variety of dark fruits and spice on the nose. Opened up slowly over an hour into a well structured and balanced wine. The wine consisted of many different components, highlighted by dark fruits and spice, which were all put together quite nicely with good acidity and medium tannins. A medium finish highlighted by dark cherry and earth notes was very pleasant. 91 pts

Both went very well with a pizza topped with anchovies and capers that we had from a cafe in Montalcino. I am becoming a huge fan of Rosso's and am very impressed with how approachable they are when young, as well as they quality to price ratio in most cases.

Add Reply

Likes (0)