2004 Casa Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Apalta Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Floral and perfumed, marion berry and blueberry, mineral, and a touch of mint. It has structured tannins and a bright acidity. The oak is noticeable, but not overwhelming. There is a lithe quality I picked up on during the long, 45" finish. Overall a nice wine at a great price. It is less than $30, but I don't recall exactly what I paid. Honestly, the wine could benefit from some time in the cellar. It really didn't start to show its true self until it had been open for four hours. 91+pts
Original Post
Had it last night qith BBQ ribs and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a wine overoaked and just big but this is balanced, juicy and interesting, specially at this price point ($22).
88pts.
They have eased up on the oak regime here for the full Alexandre line (Merlot, Chard and Syrah too). I much prefer the more recent vintages thanks in part to this change.
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
They have eased up on the oak regime here for the full Alexandre line (Merlot, Chard and Syrah too). I much prefer the more recent vintages thanks in part to this change.

Thanks a lot for the info James. Good to know thay they decided to go that way...
A short decant to start; nice dark fruit, olive, smoke, and a touch of heat. Mouth-coating with firm tannins; good acidity. A medium finish which softened considerably after 20-30 minutes in the glass. Drink or hold 1-2 years. 89 points

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.