2004 Bordeaux thread

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Opened an '04 Cheval Blanc last weekend with venison. This is developing very nicely and showed well with an hour in glass. Textbook C-B

Very young. Very good.

PH

I was thinking about buying a magnum of this wine from the retailer I tasted it at, as it was marked down 60%. The bottle I tasted was showing too much menthol and licorice, thus I passed.

Did your bottle show much of these?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Funny.... I got neither of these when we tasted it last Sunday. Lots of dark fruit, a little leather and some tobacco from the CF. Tannins were remarkably soft.

PH

+1

At 60% off I'd certainly consider it a buy for the cellar
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I tasted 15-18 '04 Bordeaux (red) recently in a presale for a wine chain in our metroplex going broke. The wines will be marked between 40% - 60% off retail.

Clearly an average and even pedestrian vintage overall, but solid wines that reflect Bordeaux more than the '03 vintage. I much prefer the '01 vintage to '04.

As in most vintages, there are some gems in '04.

Hey Wine+, what store is going out of business? If you don't mind me asking.
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:

Hey Wine+, what store is going out of business? If you don't mind me asking.

Pro, as you know, a person that was ALL hat and no cattle bought out the great Centennial in March of 2010. Since then, this once great chain has suffered and now is no longer a serious wine store.

They are closing down ( forced) many Big Daddy's, Majestic and Centennial stores across the metroplex, and all others are on life support.

There were several pre-buy tasting at their corporate office last week before their 50%+ off sale that started on Friday.
quote:
As in most vintages, there are some gems in '04.

any you wish to identify? I have opened or tried most of my non-classified growths that I was gifted or bought and am fairly unimpressed with 04 and think it was better 2-4 years ago.

I have not opened any of my classified growths and am beginning to think I might need to get to them sooner than later. Any gems you wish to point out, I'm all ears.

G

EDIT: I forgot that I have tried a few of my lascombes.... but I think that is all.
I've had 3 different 2004 Bdx in the last few months. The ones I had were all pretty good, but then again I might have just chosen well. Here are my notes:

• 2004 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (8/12/2012)
    Sacrificed in France with Birdungy. Huge wine, but very refined and actually somewhat drinkable. It will undoubtedly improve and become a blockbuster. Right now it's got power and huge length. It'll develop some refinement over time.
    [img]http://sc.cellartracker.com/labels/65421.jpg[/img]

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2004 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/29/2012)
    Very dark wine, moderately opaque. The nose is of smoky crushed black berries with graphite overtones. On the tongue it's got really good weight and good balance. Moderate tannins, good acidity, and decent length. Slightly bitter finish. This is a very nice wine, only the finish detracts from the overall quality, but even so this is quite enjoyable. (91 pts.)
    [img]http://sc.cellartracker.com/labels/20118.jpg[/img]

• 2004 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/7/2012)
    Shy & reserved on the first night, this only starts to strut on night #2. Really nice licorice thing going on on the nose, along with rich dark fruit. Still quite acidic in the mouth but rich fruit, dark crushed berries and licorice. It finishes quite well, although could have more length. Very enjoyable, but the rest of mine should be left a couple of more years to blossom. (91 pts.)
    [img]http://sc.cellartracker.com/labels/52021.jpg[/img]

Yes, you read that right. I traveled to France with a bottle of Latour. When I put it that way it seems kind of stupid, especially given how young this bottle was. OTOH I have a philosophy about wines which says "what the f, may as well drink it". Plus as a bonus I scored a bunch of them at Costco for a lot less than market price Smile

My impression of the vintage is overall mildly positive but is based on a very limited sampling.
  • 2004 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/21/2013)
    Beautiful wine. Very good, maybe outstanding. Tastes better than it is when I think about it objectively perhaps?
    Smoky, dark berries, and some kind of minerality on the nose. Rich palate without being heavy with a tobacco kind of flavor. Long finish with a kind of rough dark chocolate character to it.

Add Reply

Likes (0)