2003 Pio Cesare Barolo

Very light ruby in color. In the mouth very light texture but nice flavors of strawberry, cherry and blackberry. It smelled of red fruits with a mineral note. Surprisingly soft light elegant wine. I was expecting a more rich concentrated wine. 90 pts.
Original Post
  • 2003 Pio Cesare Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (6/15/2012)
    Decanted one hour. Medium ruby colour with some orange flecks. Aromas of mint, smoke, tar, leather, roses, and crushed blackberries burst from the glass. Full-bodied and well-balanced with good acidity and nicely integrated tannins. Tar, mint, leather, blackberries, and minerals on the palate through to a solid, 35-40s finish. This wine exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a good wine, but not a great wine. The winery did an excellent job managing the vintage, as if I was served this wine blind, I would never guess that it was from the 2003 vintage. Really, really great job. This wine will drink well for the next 5-6 years at a minimum. Drink now-2018+. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
  • 2003 Pio Cesare Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/3/2012)
    Opened for about an hour before drinking but not decanted. Some bricking at the rim.

If the finish were longer this would be really terrific. Nicely balanced combination of dark fruit, earth, tar, some smokiness, spicy producing a tingling sensation in the mouth. This is in a really nice place right now.

Posted from CellarTracker
Had this wine, at a friend's house, on sunday night. We decanted for a full hour, poured back into the bottle for travel, and splashed decanted when we got to our friends.

This wine showed amazingly well and just kept opening up, with more and more fruit with a longer finish, as the night went on. SF 93 pts
Opened a bottle of this last night based on some of the recent notes. Beautiful and paired well with wild mushroom and duck risotto, but as Sandy says above, it got better with air time. The last glass was the best.

I'll hold my other bottle for a couple of years to see where it goes.

Add Reply

Likes (0)