2003 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona

• 2003 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (11/11/2006)
    Dinner w/ The Highdesertwines, Pinot/Pinto Envy et al (Chateau Chang, Victorville, CA): Dark ruby/black colour. Brooding nose of vanilla, blackberry, bramble, cumin/spice, licorice. Medium-full bodied, tight, brooding, and backward. Good texture, however. Hints of black fruit on the palate. Moderate finish, 35s, with black fruit. Needs at least 3-5 years, probably longer. Was decanted for 3-4 hours. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
I've been having great "luck" with Merlot from Tuscany lately, and this was absolutely no exception. Nose of plum and other purple and black fruit, a distinct "inkiness", blood / iron notes, florals, a saline / mineral component, espresso, and some black olive; I agree with the statement that this is like Bordeaux with the distinct imprint of Tuscany. Beautiful tannin and overall structure; fine length and complexity; nice savoury edge; long, lasting finish. Terrific stuff. 93-94 points.
LENTINI - I am generally not a proponent of overtly decanting because I've found that more often than not it ruins the wine by killing the aromatics and doing nothing to "soften" tannins; I just pour in the glass and follow it over hours as it evolves. In this case, we did just that... To your point, this was on the younger side but in no way angular or offensive. I prefer to have these a bit younger - not young upon release but on the leading edge of the plateau - because that's when they are most interesting, as opposed to some other regions that I prefer with bottle age. With no itch to open this for a particular reason, I would probably defer for two more years; in this time frame I think the wine will retain its most interesting attributes while becoming just a bit more resolved.
quote:
Originally posted by The Economist:
I've been having great "luck" with Merlot from Tuscany lately, and this was absolutely no exception. Nose of plum and other purple and black fruit, a distinct "inkiness", blood / iron notes, florals, a saline / mineral component, espresso, and some black olive; I agree with the statement that this is like Bordeaux with the distinct imprint of Tuscany. Beautiful tannin and overall structure; fine length and complexity; nice savoury edge; long, lasting finish. Terrific stuff. 93-94 points.

Agree with all of the above statements. This wine has just entered its sweet spot and will develop over the next 3-5 years. Too bad it's my last one.
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
W+A - who would you recommend in Bolgheri in the $100 and under?

Well...

Le Macchiole Messorio

Le Macchiole Paleo

Poggio Argentiera Finisterre Maremma ( Cab Franc w/Syrah)

Poggio alle Querce Il Guado ( Has Cab with Merlot)

Batzella Tam Rossa ( Cab Franc with Cabernet or Syrah some years)

Poggio al Tesoro Dedicato & Sondraia

Catello di Bolgheri makes wines blending Merlot and Cab Franc

Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco & Giusto di Norti are Merlot based.

Baia al Vento Superiore
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
W+A - who would you recommend in Bolgheri in the $100 and under?

Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco & Giusto di Norti are Merlot based.

I think you might be referring to the Redigaffi, which I agree is a phenomenal wine!

Add Reply

Likes (0)