I'm surprised that there isn't a thread already on this wine - if I missed it, sorry.

This is one of the best wines I had last year (yes, I just uncovered some old TNs Red Face).

I found it really sweet fruit forward and muscular, with flavours of fat black cherry, plum yogurt, menthol, white chocolate, cedar plank and moccachino.

Really rich and classy, it reminded me of Two Hands Bella's Garden or an aged Stonewell or Command shiraz.

As good without food as with - something I rarely say.

95 points, nearly 96.

Even better on Day 2 - smoother, fruitier, plum compote infused with cedar smoke and more moccachino. Now a solid 96 points.

This was a gift from a friend - thanks gman! Cool
Original Post
I enjoy the Darioush cabs very much, although they are on the oakier end of my personal taste spectrum, especially when young. I was a little put off by the oak in my glass when the 03 first came out, but tried another one in the last few months, and it was much more integrated. This is always a crowd pleaser amongst my friends and anyone that says that they like big reds, loves this wine. I think that it is improving with each passing year, and will try and do one a year for the next 3-4 years for my remaining bottles.

And, to Jasong, are you sure that it is the Darioush Signature Cabernet for $39? That sounds exactly like the price for the Caravan, which is Darioush's second label, as the big cab runs $60-70 anywhere that I have ever seen it, even at discount. If that is really the signature, then buy all you want and then please tell us where you found it so that we can clean out that supply!

thanks, Dale
quote:
Originally posted by Dale451:
I enjoy the Darioush cabs very much, although they are on the oakier end of my personal taste spectrum, especially when young. I was a little put off by the oak in my glass when the 03 first came out, but tried another one in the last few months, and it was much more integrated. This is always a crowd pleaser amongst my friends and anyone that says that they like big reds, loves this wine. I think that it is improving with each passing year, and will try and do one a year for the next 3-4 years for my remaining bottles.

And, to Jasong, are you sure that it is the Darioush Signature Cabernet for $39? That sounds exactly like the price for the Caravan, which is Darioush's second label, as the big cab runs $60-70 anywhere that I have ever seen it, even at discount. If that is really the signature, then buy all you want and then please tell us where you found it so that we can clean out that supply!

thanks, Dale

Yep, it was on a closeout table at a retail store. SCORE!!
Opened a bottle of this with my wife last weekend. Came on the tail end of a couple of cocktails, so no formal notes/score, Wink. Didn't get the oakiness described above, and I recall it being very similar to bman's impressions. A massive, delicious wine. Got an obscenely good price on this (thanks Vinosnob), so went back for the last four bottles yesterday. Smile
Had another one this past weekend. Deep plummy ruby color, massive nose of mocha, cooking jam, blackberry, cherry, licorice, slightly woody forest floor. On the palate, ripe plum, slightly raisiny, cherry, toffee, dark chocolate mocha, fig paste, assorted dark fruits and a bit of slightly smoky wood. Good but modest acidity. Well integrated tannin.
This was a delicious drink, and my wife and I consumed it over two hours. I have two more bottles, and I don't see much reason to wait. Have had three bottles of this and haven't gotten anything resembling over-the-top wood others indicate is problematic with this winery. Drink or hold short term. 94pts.
Having another one this weekend. Similar notes as before, but fruit starting to fade maybe just a bit, revealing a bit more oak than before. Not splinters, or anything close, but finishes a bit woody.

The nose is absolutely explosive, surreal amount of fruit aromas I catch whiffs of four feet away.

94pts, drink or hold, but why wait?

Add Reply

Likes (0)