2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective

It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.
Original Post
It's up to the taster. It would be nice to see a variety of Chateaux appear in the next few weeks, but over time I am sure several will be posted. Just trying to create a shared experience that will hopefully be fun and informative for those who wish to participate and for those that are curious to look in and see how the vintage is coming along.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
It's up to the taster. It would be nice to see a variety of Chateaux appear in the next few weeks, but over time I am sure several will be posted. Just trying to create a shared experience that will hopefully be fun and informative for those who wish to participate and for those that are curious to look in and see how the vintage is coming along.

Okay, trying to understand the goals and objectives. There was a time on this forum that we had a specific tasting of the month.
quote:
It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.

I opened a double Mag of this up over the summer....it was drinking decent but needs time IMO
I also opened a Lascombes over the Christmas Holiday and this was drinking quite well for a Cali Cab Smile....I dont think it will improve much but should be fine for 5-7 more years IMO

I have several 03's....not my favorite 'style' of bordeaux but it satisfies a craving periodically.
2003 Château Petit Bocq - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (12/26/2012)

Drank my last bottle at Christmas. No formal notes other than an opinion that this wine is about as good as it will get and there is no need to hold it any longer. 87 points.

VM
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:

I opened a double Mag of this up over the summer....it was drinking decent but needs time IMO

Next time try a quad, that might be ready.
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:

Next time try a quad, that might be ready.

Cute. I kind of did, I opened up 2 double mags actually as the occasion called for it. But I have 2 left and most likely will open them up for a similar occasion in 4 1/2 yrs. Ill let you know if they improve then Wink
2003 Clos Fourtet. Decanted four hours. Youthful burgundy shoe polish color. Aromas of cedar, smoke and hot stones. Lush, concentrated entry and mid-palate. Complex palate of licorice, cappuccino, leather and wood smoke. Lengthy, balanced finish. Fine tannins drift in to the finish. This is a winner. 93
  • 2003 Château Lagrange (St. Julien) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (1/11/2013)
    Outstanding.

This is in a very nice place. Opened it and poured off a glass, but did not decant. It did not throw any sediment. Early on quite minty but this dissipated over time. Blackberry fruit, and perhaps some red berry, slightly ripe. After awhile evolved into a bit of fresh tobacco then more of the classic cigar box nose. Crisp acidity. Dusty tannins. Longish finish.

Posted from CellarTracker
2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry
Popped, decanted, and drank over 4 hours.
Short version: Light and ethereal with superfine tannins and great balance and a long satisfying finish.

Conversation piece: Upon opening was closed and probably a bit too cool. Some eucalyptus and menthol, but that could just be the alcohol coming through with little else in complement.
Hour 1: Warmer on the nose and in the glass showing a toasty spiciness. Still a bit tight but opening. More herbal and vegetal at this stage. Smooth gritty tannins. All in balance.
Hour 2: Darker warmer fruit coming through. This has rewarding flavors yet remains elegant on the palate. Just when it seems it will be chewy it melts off the tongue. A dustiness on a finish that evolves as it lingers. Plenty of acidity here. Should roll along nicely over the next 5-8+.
Hour 3: Paired with short ribs braised with cabernet and a roux. Just melts away in the mouth. An ethereal red. Some could describe this attribute as thin, but I see it as being light but fulfilling (in part due to the satisfying finish). Impressed by it having a weighlessness yet yielding plenty of fruit. Charcoal and cedar showing. All in harmony. Works really well with roasted brussels sprouts- great play between the char of the sprouts and the minerality/earthiness (graphite) of the wine. Finish continues to impress.
I was really looking forward to opening this as I have enjoyed the last two very much. This one did not disappoint. Excellent Chateau. Superb wine. I will likely seek out more and may even open the purse strings to acquire some 09's/10's.
2003 Chateau Lilian Ladouys:

Popped and poured. The colour is a deep garnet at the core with the beginnings of bricking at the edge.

The nose features cherry as well as earthy and mushroomy mature notes, but the oak is a bit heavy handed.

On the palate, the wine is light to medium bodied, with a medium concentration of red fruit flavour. There is enough acidity to keep things fresh. The finish is pleasant but brief.

Overall, this is a nice everyday dinner red, but not particularly good value for the $40 I spent on it, and like many 2003s it's not quite stylistically correct for Bordeaux. Maybe because it's from the north, it's not over-ripe like some 2003's but the overdone oak treatment is distracting.

87 points.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry
Popped, decanted, and drank over 4 hours.
Short version: Light and ethereal with superfine tannins and great balance and a long satisfying finish.

Conversation piece: Upon opening was closed and probably a bit too cool. Some eucalyptus and menthol, but that could just be the alcohol coming through with little else in complement.
Hour 1: Warmer on the nose and in the glass showing a toasty spiciness. Still a bit tight but opening. More herbal and vegetal at this stage. Smooth gritty tannins. All in balance.
Hour 2: Darker warmer fruit coming through. This has rewarding flavors yet remains elegant on the palate. Just when it seems it will be chewy it melts off the tongue. A dustiness on a finish that evolves as it lingers. Plenty of acidity here. Should roll along nicely over the next 5-8+.
Hour 3: Paired with short ribs braised with cabernet and a roux. Just melts away in the mouth. An ethereal red. Some could describe this attribute as thin, but I see it as being light but fulfilling (in part due to the satisfying finish). Impressed by it having a weighlessness yet yielding plenty of fruit. Charcoal and cedar showing. All in harmony. Works really well with roasted brussels sprouts- great play between the char of the sprouts and the minerality/earthiness (graphite) of the wine. Finish continues to impress.
I was really looking forward to opening this as I have enjoyed the last two very much. This one did not disappoint. Excellent Chateau. Superb wine. I will likely seek out more and may even open the purse strings to acquire some 09's/10's.[/QUOT

Nice note. I agree it should hold up for 5 to 10 more yrs. just not too sure it will improve much. I'd recommend buying the 05'. I tasted it upon release and its the best from this house ever in my opinion. I have also tasted the 08 and 09'. Very nice wines but no comparison to the 05' IMO.
2003 Chateau Pibran

Decanted and drank over the course of the evening. Classic Pauillac nose with cedar and black cherry. No sign of age in the colour. Nice mouthfeel, but the mid-palate was a little thin. At one point in the evening, after being open a few hours, the oak became too dominant for my liking, but when re-visited an hour or so later it had faded. So the glass was very enjoyable.

For that change I'll keep my other bottle for a few years to see where it goes. I'd give it a 91.
Marc, I am sitting on some '05's (&'06's) now and can't wait to open one. I may do so later this year. Love this Chateau. Will try the '10 next Monday in NYC at Unions des Grand Crus 2010 Grand Bordeaux Tasting (got my tickets through Zachy's). Is anyone going to that by the way? Would love to meet some of you there.
2003 Chateau St Pierre

A bit too cold coming out of the cellar. So had to let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter while prepping dinner.

Color still the same deep dark purplish red, but there is a hint of bricking around the rim.

Nose is slightly muted but you can smell the hint of wet tobacco and ground dark roasted coffee beans. Not mcuh fruit there.

Silky but very noticeable tannins still. The mouthfeel is very muted but you can see some freshly crushed currants and roasted fennel hiding around. It finishes with clean notes of licorice and blackberries.

It looks like keeping this around the cellar on release at near 50 degrees really hasn't aged this at all.

i feel like it's in a dumb phase and would probably keep this around 5-7 more years before trying another.

NR.
2003 Chateau Kirwan

After decanting, closed for the next 5 hours with only a slight hint of what may be underneath the mumu that was hiding everything. Don't have enough experience with Bordeaux to offer more insight as I am in the early learning stages.

Add Reply

Likes (0)