Skip to main content

I've never been wowed by previous vintages of this wine, despite the ravings of many others. But this one is different. It was decanted, left for about 90 minutes and then poured back into the bottle. About 4 hours from when it was opened to when we tasted it. Dark purple coloured wine with a huge nose of cocoa, cocoa and more cocoa. Full bodied, seemingly low acidity (why do I have a feeling TORB is going to fire back with the actual pH Smile), but not overly jammy. Huge plum and black currant flavours on a deliciously long finish. Much better than the '01 imho and I'm buying. 95 points.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Popped and poured.

Blood red in the glass; barely translucent. Aromas of anise and tobacco and leather leap out of the glass. The cabernet flavors dominate the somewhat mellow shiraz characteristics - notes of black fruits and pepper. Cedar and cherry are also present. Soft, fine tannins are integrated nicely at this stage. Medium to full-bodied. A finish that goes on a very long time. This is a soft, pleasant wine which is approachable now and cellarable. Very good value for around $30.

40+5+5+17+18+8=93
  • 2002 Yalumba The Signature - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (3/14/2010)
    This is drinking very well right now. Lots of blackberry, and cedar and hints of black licorice on the nose with a whiff of green herbs(maybe Herbs de Provence). Palate is nice with blackberry fruit replays, a really nice acidity that gives it the right amount of punch and lingers on the medium-long fruit finish. After some time in the glass, the acidity becomes slightly disjointed with the rest of the wine which would indicate it is beginning to fall apart. Paired well with Roast Beef.93-94. I can't see how in the world this wine will drink well into 2025, Parker's outer range. Sorry but that's incorrect. Agree with the winemaker and Steinman on 2012. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.