Popped and checked to see if decanting was needed. It was not needed. Dark purple color, fairly exctracted. Nose of new French oak, cassis, wet stone. Awesome nose, no hint of alcohol. In the mouth, smooth, low acidity, up front fruit, fine tannins. Great balance. Outstanding super second. Best Bordeaux to date for me. A
I thought this wine would be more advanced in its development, considering how far along the 2001 seems to be on recent tasting. I was wrong. This is way too young yet.

Deep, dark purple.

The nose offered cedar, some minty eucalyptus notes, a slight barnyardy funk, and some currant and dark fruit notes buried underneath that. In general really shut down in spite of decanting.

On the palate the fruit is hidden behind rather ferocious tannin structure and the acidity from midpalate onwards is gripping. Finishes with a tannic pucker.

It expressed more fruit on the palate with my filet mignon of veal with mushroom sauce.

I have four more bottles of this wine which I will not touch for at least a few more years.
Tasted this again the other night. This time decanted for 3 hours before serving.

Still really tight nose. Similar to the previous note. Dark fruit notes peeking through but it's really subdued.

On the palate, there is a dense core of dark fruit flavours but it's hard to get at it through the wall of tannin and acidity. Puckerville.

Do not approach this wine for at least a few more years.
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Tasted this again the other night. This time decanted for 3 hours before serving.

Still really tight nose. Similar to the previous note. Dark fruit notes peeking through but it's really subdued.

On the palate, there is a dense core of dark fruit flavours but it's hard to get at it through the wall of tannin and acidity. Puckerville.

Do not approach this wine for at least a few more years.

Ok. Let us know how its doing a few months from now. Big Grin

I don't have any 02 Cos, DS, but I have had a few 02 Bdx over the last couple of years.  I find the vintage has good power but lacks a little something in complexity.  Latest drink from 02 was Pichon Baron and I liked it a lot.  I bet an 02 Cos would be well received at a grilling right now.  Please post a note when you're done.

grossie posted:

I don't have any 02 Cos, DS, but I have had a few 02 Bdx over the last couple of years.  I find the vintage has good power but lacks a little something in complexity.  Latest drink from 02 was Pichon Baron and I liked it a lot.  I bet an 02 Cos would be well received at a grilling right now.  Please post a note when you're done.

You got it. Thinking about also taking my Magnum of 2002 La Mission Haut Brion. Been needing some opportunities to open these guys.

Add Reply

Likes (0)