Future Mrs. Whiner and I had dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Jaimetown last night -- as great as these wines were, the company was even better! (but, damn! these wines were good! Big Grin Wink Razz )

2002 Aubert Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay: Amazing CA Chardonnay. One thing that is so unusual about this wine is that it manages to mantain a strong CA identity while still being elegant and balanced. Roast hazelnut and key lime were the two flavors I picked up most, but there was plenty of complexity. Rich without being heavy, I opened this about 45 min before we consumed it, I think this is ready to go now and I doubt it will seriously benifit from significant cellaring. 92.5-93.

1998 Clos Mogador Priorat: Terrific wine. This reminded me of an Amarone -- it had that same concentrated, slightly raisiny texture and nose. There was, however, a bit more "Elmer's glue" and a bit of bramble to this wine. Dark, rich, and concentrated, yet not heavy. Absolutely excellent. Terrific, long finish. 92.5

1998 Finca Dofi Priorat: Wow! What a wine. This was consumed following, then along side, the 1998 Mogador. And, it is even better. Jaimetown described this as "an Armani suit" and I somewhat agree. It certainly has that level of polish. However, no one should believe this anology means "polish without substance." This wine has more going on than I could ever describe. On the nose there was Elmer's glue and black rasberry. On the palate the black raspberry turned into a schmorgasbord (sp?) of super-ripe fruits which, somehow, became focused on the super-long finish. As tonight was my first forray into high quality Priorat, I don't know how this will age, but I'm planning on buying some '98 and '99 Dofi to see how they are in about 5 years. Right now, I would assign about 93 points.

1995 Roda I Rioja: Holy Guacamole! Perhaps it is because this is the wine that really made me believe that Spanish wines could be among the greatest wines in the world, perhaps it is because Future Mrs. Whiner had this 3 1/2 years ago on the last night of the vacation that convinced us we were in love. For whatever reason, this wine speaks to me in a way that very few do. Currant, raspberry, black cherry, blueberry, and just about every other dark berry you can imagine seem crushed and jammed into this spicy, cedar-scented gem. From the great cigar nose to the nearly 1 minute finish, this blows my mind every time I try it. 94+

a

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
Original Post
Thanks for the nice notes, Whiner! Cool

What is "Elmers glue"? I think we have something similar around here, a glue with a scent I would describe as almonds or marzipan.

I have some bottles of the 1998 Dofi as well, but after the tasting some years ago, I haven't opened one yet. Do you think it is ready?

----------------------------
Anche dio รจ di-vino
Marc,

Elmer's glue is a non-toxic (read: edible) glue that many young children use in the US. It does have an almond-like scent to it -- but mixed with a tiny bit of "white tar" if you could imagine such a thing.

It is hard for me to say how the Dofi will age. Jaimetown was kind enough to supply the Priorats as Les Terraces was the best Priorat I had tasted before last night. The wine was absolutely delicious last night and I would not quibble with anyone who wanted to drink theirs up now. As I said, however, I would be interested to see what happens to this over the course of the next five years, and I am hoping to get a few bottles to do just that experiment. My hunch is that this will be at its best in about 3-4 years and stay there for a while, but I think Gastro and Jaimetown probably have a better grip on how these age.

cheers!
a

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
Great notes by whiner. Here are my TNs:

Aubert 2002 Ritchie Chardonnay
Wonderfully balanced and complex - a nice core of fruit, minerals and the backbone of acidity that keeps it all together nicely. 93 points. I don't do CA Chardonnays all that much, but this was worth searching for.

A delicious bottle - it was my wife's favorite wine of the evening. Thanks for bringing it whiner. Smile

Clos Mogador 1998 Priorat
The Mogador was open and decanted for about 30 minutes before we dug into it. A wonderful nose of black fruits, liquified minerals and flowers. Big mid-palate with fine grain tannins. Nice long finish. Delicious now. 93 points.

Alvaro Palacios 1998 Finca Dofi
What can I say, I love this wine. While I buy 3 bottles of Mogador each vintage, I buy 6 bottles of the Finca Dofi. Not much to add here, but these babies can easily age 10 years. I've got some 1996 Dofis and I'll prove it to you if you are still in the area 2 years from now, whiner. Big Grin

95 points.

Roda I 1995 Rioja

Wonderful aromas of ripe black fruits, a bit of leather, and faint cocoa. Well balanced with a great mid-palate and persistence. Delicious - 94 points. Thanks for sharing the wine! Smile

Next time, we shall include a few Ribera del Dueros! Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)