Skip to main content

• 2001 Vitanza Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/25/2012)
    Slow-ox'd for ten hours. Tasted without decanting. Dark ruby red/burgundy colour, almost opaque at its core. Aromas of sottobosco/frutti di bosco, red licorice, red currant jam, black cherry. Rich and full-bodied, with gorgeous purity of fruit replaying from the nose. Tannins are integrating nicely, but still retain a bit of grip. Long finish, ~40-45s, with more frutti di bosco, red currant jam, and black cherry notes. Wow, this is a really delicious wine! Looking forward to following this wine over the remainder of the evening. Drink now-2021. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Slow-ox'd for about 5 hours. Dark ruby red. Aromas of tart cherry and some dirt. Red currant and dark cherry flavors with the acid initially a bit high. With time in the glass fruit started to round out to bring the wine in better balance. Also started to develop a bit more darker fruit components. Not sure based on my bottle if I'd put the drinking window all the way out to 2021 as Futronic suggests above, but he has much more knowledge on Italian wines than I do. Still no hurry to open these but drinking very well now. 91-92 pts
Thanks for the note, EiT. I had a bottle a month or so ago, and also noted that more time in the glass allowed it to become more expressive. It was taken to a restaurant, and therefore I couldn't slow-ox it as long as I had previously. I'm going to hold my remaining bottle for several more years to see what happens along the way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.