I have a number of large format wines. I have been offered a magnum of the 2001 Valdicava Madonna Del Piano for $600 or a double magnum for $1200. Considering the current prices on this wine these seem like reasonable prices. I am not interested in flipping the wines. I buy these bottles for my collection, but reality has set in, at some point you drink or sell. Reality for me will be age 65, not too far in the future.

So the question is this, are Italian wines, Sangiovese in particular, reasonable in large formats.

The local discussion goes two ways. One, most people don't like Sangiovese and so you would need a vast network of friends to consume a large bottle and some wine would be wasted. Two, no one else would buy it either for the same reason. Keep in mind this is a 100 point WS rating. What's your advice?
Original Post
People that don't like Sangiovese must refer to the atstringent wines of half a century ago......

Modern Sangiovese based wines can still be less approchable than, say, an Aussie Shirah. But most 2001 Brunello are packed with fruit, structure and body. And in particular the Valdicava. I have tasted the Madonna del Piano in Montalcino, not at home. And to date I have been drinking two bottles of the 'regular' BdM. A tasting note from the first occasion can be found here . As far as I can judge the Madonna del Piano has better balance and refinement.

The second bottle BdM '01 I have been drinking with some friends that are not particulary knowlegable about wine.
They are still talking about it......

Add to this that Brunelli in general age quite gracefully. Even more so in large format.

I would say: yes, good choice!

ps: I believe that you need no more than 3 friends to finish a Magnum without any negative side effects....
I think the local discussion was no one much likes California sangiovese!

Honestly, as was addressed above, sangiovese is one of the world's greatest wine grapes, and certainly needs no apology from us or any real wine enthusiast.

My advice: Buy it (the mag), and don't drink it with your local knuckleheads. Take it with you on a road trip to go visit an old friend, take it to an offline, or gift it to a charity fundraiser...I'm sure you can scare up more sangiovese lovers than you'll be able to satisfy with even the double magnum.
The prices for the magnum & double-magnum sound 'fully priced' to me, but then that's me. I TRY to resist paying the premiums so often placed on the larger formats. It may reduce the number of large formats I collect but the prices are reasonable (compared to the .750 sizes) JMO. However, if you're wanting them, certainly go for it!

As for finding people that appreciate truly great Sangiovese, well, I can't imagine THAT being a real problem Wink

Similar to comments above a great wine like this, in large format, is truly made for celebration with great friends Cool
quote:
My advice: Buy it (the mag), and don't drink it with your local knuckleheads. Take it with you on a road trip to go visit an old friend, take it to an offline, or gift it to a charity fundraiser...I'm sure you can scare up more sangiovese lovers than you'll be able to satisfy with even the double magnum.

Bad advice followed by some good advice from Chaad. A local off-line is a great idea, so what if we are knuckelheads. Smile

That is a serious bottle of wine with a serious price tag. Since it would be a hard to sell, buy it too drink. I would go no bigger than a magnum because you feel like you do not know enough people who enjoy Sangiovese and it will be tough to unload later.

Add Reply

Likes (0)