Skip to main content

Purchased for $47 from the Wine Club ... after the WS Top 10 announcement.

Sometimes you don't need to add a thing to a review because the critic hits it dead on. Suckling really nailed this wine with his review.

"Dark, with fantastic aromas of currant, blackberry, spice and lightly toasty oak. Full-bodied, with very well-integrated tannins and a texture as fine as the best cashmere from Scotland. Superb. Needs time in the bottle to show its full potential. One of the new hot wines of Tuscany. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best after 2008. 3,330 cases made."

I can only add that this might be the darkest wine I've ever had ... dangerously close to port in color. There's also this fantastic smoke hickory note in the nose that pulls you in. It's brilliant now, but Suckling's right to say it needs 3-4 years. I'll try my next bottle in late 2006 or 2007. 95
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

louz,

$80 is the price on the release and display that the store will post! (Why do you think I am so happy!!??)

The state of Pennsylvania occasionally gets bulk buys or offers that are pretty great. The people in our local store always tell me about this stuff before they are allowed to put out the products, and let me prowl around the back room!

I wish you were in the area, I would hold a few for you!!

Regards,

DBW
DBW,

I can get them here for the 35 euros, maybe 30 with discount. However, the way I got it figured, what's the advantage to living in Italy if it's available in the States (anywhere) for a similar price?

It just feels good to know I'm getting a deal, and when I'm not, it doesn't feel so good. If I'm not getting a deal then I'm not buying; for anything, not just wine.
There are two TN's for this wine, but I'm going to add my notes to this one to punish W+A for not finding it. Razz

Decanted for about 3 hours. Dark reddish-black, totally opaque wine. I got some brett on the nose, which did blow off leaving black fruit and oak aromas. Massive wine in the mouth. Powerful, tannic, but good mouthfeel with black currant, espresso and vanilla flavours on a long finish. This needs more time in my opinion so I won't open another for at least 3 years. 93 points.

2001 Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno Toscana IGT

Opened by Otis and tasted blind. 2nd time I have had this Supertuscan with the last time being when this was young in 2004. 50% Sangiovese, 25% Cab and 25% Merlot. Decanted a few hours before drinking. Always an excellent wine (I previously had the 2004, 2005 and 2008). Crimson color This has put on some weight since 2004. Still has a solid fruit core. Rich leather, smoke and ripe cherry notes. 93 points.

VM

Last edited by Vino Me

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.