The 2001 vintage Ribera del Duero region is reported to be outstanding - and as I know nothing about these wines, maybe someone else here does. 2 I might pick up tomorrow are:
2001 Valderiz $43
2001 Condado Haza $20
any opinions on these or others worth looking for ?
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by mattach:
Mulva - the Condado de Haza for $20 sounds about right. Excellent wine. If you like it, try El Vinculo - even better.

Although Condado de Haza and El Vinculo are both made by Alejandro Fernandez, El Vinculo is actually from La Mancha.( Ilike it very much) If you like those then try his flagship wine Pesquera. The quality has declined some from its heyday, but the 01 crianza is still a good QPR.

The 2001 Valderiz is a wine from Telmo Rodriguez. He is a very respected wine maker here in Spain. The wine is pretty good. However the price sounds very inflated.
All the prices you quoted are double the price we pay here.

If you can try to find a wine called Aalto. The name of the winery is also Aalto. It is a new winery from the head winemaker of Vega Sicilia.
We can get this wine here for about 23 euros.

The Condado de Haza is a good buy, I have not tried the 2001 but plan on buying some. The quality is said to be close to the 1996 (which I loved and still have 3 bottles of). The 1999 was step down. This wine is a mid term ager.

If you are looking for very good value in RdD. Buy the Tinot Pesquera. After several disappointing vintages, this wine should be back. I bought 3 for about $23. Haven't tried it yet but someone I respect said it was on pair with the excellent 1996 form this estate.

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Markus Randall:
You get Aalto for 23€?!???

We're paying 64€ for it here in Finland!!! Are you SURE about the price?!

Not impossible I guess, they're expecting everyone who pretends to be even remotely interested in architecture will buy a wine with that name.

Hey Markus, yes the price is correct. The most expensive that I have seen the 2001 Aalto is 24,95 euros. I bought a few bottles for 21 euros last week. Haven't tasted them yet, but now that I am writing about it, my interest has been peaked Big Grin

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. -Woody Allen
quote:
Hey Markus, yes the price is correct. The most expensive that I have seen the 2001 Aalto is 24,95 euros. I bought a few bottles for 21 euros last week. Haven't tasted them yet, but now that I am writing about it, my interest has been peaked

#*%"@!

My god, I'm living in wine-limbo!!!! Hereafter this little piggy orders his wine straigth from Spain. You get 3 bottles for the same price I drink one! I can't believe the gall of the importer!!
Markus,

Yeah, you're right, I thought there was something funny with the huge price difference. I had read barca man's post regarding the Aalto for 23 euros, so I assumed we were speaking of the same wine since the PS wasn't specified. This is the second wine; the PS goes for between 50 and 60 euros here in Madrid. So, perhaps the importer isn't such a bad huy after all Big Grin

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. -Woody Allen
quote:
Originally posted by Markus Randall:
You get Aalto for 23€?!???

We're paying 64€ for it here in Finland!!! Are you SURE about the price?!

Markus;
I am sure about the the price. I just bought three bottles today for 23.95 Eur The 2000 and 2001 are both priced the same.

Also, Make sure you are not looking at the Aalto PS (It has large PS letters on the side. That is their "Pagos Selecionada" (Selected grape) wine. Their reserve. The Aalto PS goes for abour 55-60 Eur here.

Guys - question about the Pesquera, Condado and Vinculo - what is the aging potential of these 3 wines? Any thoughts?

Mattach;

From experience these Crianzas are drinkable right now and will be good for the next 6 -7 years.

Most Spanish crianzas will last that long there are some exceptions but for the most part don't count on the wines being able to age more than 10 - 15 years. Somebody might call me on this and if they do, i am always ready to learn.

I'm a little upset that the price of the Valderiz has jumped so much. I bought the https://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=9306023451&f=3146091161&m=19660251 for $18 and it was a fine wine. Not sure I would pay $40+ for it though.

VM,
I agree about the Valderiz. Here in BCN the 2001 is going for about 18 Eur, but the 2002 has dropped to about 15 eur.

I paid 50eu for the Aalto when I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago...maybe I paid too much? Picked up a 1996 Condado de Haza (Alenza Crianza) for 60eu, which I thought was a pretty good deal considering it sells for up to $100 in the US.

Haggis does your bottle have a large "PS on the side. if it does th price is just about right. It is their premium wine. They only make the PS during good vintages, so you will not see it every year.

Thanks all. Man, the prices seem to be all over the place - Hermanos Sastre Pesus 2001 $395 to Abadia Retuerta Rivola 2001 $9.99 (WA90). I'll buy as many different ones as I can find locally and post some TNs.
And Baracaman - I fondly remember my last trip to Spain - couldn't find a bad bottle and never paid more than $10 - loved it there.
The 2001 Tinto Pesquera I have been drinking at $15/bottle is an awesome every day drinker. My favorite wine shop was really excited about this vintage/maker and price combo. I now am too!

I also picked up a few bottles of 2000 Clos Martinet - Priorato - ($55) to lay down for a few yrs. I bought it blind. Anyone have experience with this?
quote:
Originally posted by brunelloman94105:
I also picked up a few bottles of 2000 Clos Martinet - Priorato - ($55) to lay down for a few yrs. I bought it blind. Anyone have experience with this?

BM;
Good choice with the Clos Martinet 2000. This bodega is fast becoming one of my favorites surpassing the wines from Alvaro Palacio. This bodega also makes a second wine called Martinet Bru. It goes for about 14 EUR here.
One thing worth mentioning though is that this wine has a different character than the Pesquera. It is made from Grenache, Syrah, and Cab. Sauv., whereas the Pesquera is made from 100% Tempranillo.

Other wines from the area that you might want to try is Clos de l'Obac, Vall Llach, Finca Dofi, this is the 2nd wine from Alvaro Palacios (Although I find the wine a little expensive.)

Add Reply

Likes (0)