2001 Pavie Macquin

Popped and decanted into a Pinot noir glass. Tasted and drank after an hour open. Ample merlot like nose, however at first the taste seemed diluted and boring. Then there seemed to emerge some faint tastes. But never really seems to hit the ground and run.
Original Post
indy, here ya go; this wine needs more time.

• 2001 Château Pavie Macquin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/27/2010)
    -- decanted for 16 hours before tasting --
    -- tasted non-blind --

Very tight on the nose and palate upon opening; a 16 hour decant really opened this up, showing incredible red fruits on the nose as well as earth and mineral. Medium bodied; Well-balanced, but even the 16 hour decant didn't smooth the ample drying tannins that assert themselves on the finish. Flavors mirror the nose; this still needs lots of time in the cellar: I can only venture a guess as to how long -- maybe six or seven more years before this even starts to hit its prime drinking window. Great wine. Gut impression score: 92 - 94.

Posted from CellarTracker
Time to explore the progression of this promising Saint-Émilion after its first decade. Nice deep purple hues from center to rim. The scent of Kalamata olives at first whiff during decant piqued my interest. After pouring, notes of cassis, black fruit, and earthy terroir pleasured the olfactory nerves. After a short decant there was plenty of acid to brighten the cherry, cigar box, cedar, and soft herbal mid-palate leading to fine chewy tannins with an elegant pleasing finish. Became more nuanced after first hour with cocoa, airy menthol, and more dark fruit. This wine is sexy and feminine. I'd say it is progressing very well.

Add Reply

Likes (0)